PDA

View Full Version : Cotton Candy Questions.

briduhunt
02-16-2009, 08:06 PM
I have read that to make maple Cotton Candy you put 1 part maple sugar to 5 parts sugar. That part is no problem, but my question is how much of the mixture do you use per serving of cotton candy. What I am trying to figure is how much I will need to mix in order to do a local small scale festival. What size measurement dse one use per serving?

maple maniac65
02-17-2009, 06:34 AM
A 5 gallon bucket of sugar that is 25% maple will yield about 150 bags of cotton candy. I consider a bag about 3 good handfuls as long as it stays light and fluffy. A bag of cotton candy is about 1/2 cup of sugar maybe less.

davey
02-17-2009, 06:05 PM
I bought the pre-mixed sugar from Merle's and also bought the bags from Merle's and just put what looks like a nice amount into each. On my cotton-candy machine that amounts to 2 or 3 big swirls. do you have a machine?

briduhunt
02-17-2009, 06:30 PM
No not yet. I am looking at renting one for this year and possible buying one next year depending on how things go. I know I can rent one from a few different people in the Canandaigua area. I have looked for these on E-bay and they run around 700-800 for a good commerical grade unit. I also know of a supplier in Rochester who sells them and they can service them also.

Another thing I want is a candy machine, I know they run about $1100.00 and I have been thinking that if I couold get a few of us small time guys together we could possible buy one as a group. It is not as if one uses it all the time and sharing one might make it easier for all. Just thinking out loud.

NH Maplemaker
12-16-2009, 08:28 AM
davey, If you don't mind me asking. Who is it that you got the pre mixed maple cotton candy sugar from?? How would I get some? Thanks Jim L.

red maples
12-16-2009, 09:24 AM
bird hunt thanks for asking this question. I was going to ask too. I want to do the cotton candy this year when I hit the farmers markets next year (if I can make enough syrup that is:rolleyes: )!!!!!!

briduhunt
12-16-2009, 10:43 AM
I purchased mine from a local large producer Clutes Maple in Naples NY. They will be ath the Veronia convention, I even think that they are doing 1-2 of the seminars there. They can be reached at 585-374-6371. Great people, Mr Clute has been in the maple business for many years and always willing to answer any questions I come up with.

ziggy
12-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Merle Maple Farm sells the pre-mixed cotton candy mix, they will be at Verona or can be reached at 585 535-7136. They will sell most any amount of cotton mix you want to buy, I can't remember the price right know, but it is quite reasonable, and great to deal with.

Thompson's Tree Farm
12-18-2009, 04:57 AM
Mixing your own sugar mix for cotton candy is easy. Just get granulated maple sugar or make your own. It is mixed with regular granulated sugar at either a 4 or 5 parts of white sugar to one part maple sugar. Your preference on the strength of the mix based on taste preference.

maplwrks
12-18-2009, 05:49 AM
Mix 5 parts extra fine white sugar with 1 part maple sugar for the mix---depending on the humidity, you may be able to cut back on the white sugar.

NH Maplemaker
12-21-2009, 09:56 PM
Thanks guys for the info! Last time when I tried to make cotton candy I looked like frosty the snow man! Didn't take long to figure out that the mix was wrong. But didn't know what the correct mix was! Thanks again. Jim L.

orser506
03-23-2010, 04:48 AM
If you have the syrup, make your own sugar and save $. You have to sift the sugar and then you can sell the maple nuggets. like the above posts use 4 or 5 parts to 1 . If you go lower like 1/2 and 1/2 your cotton candy will be heavy.. and won't fluff up.If you buy a machine buy an extra heating unit too because after a while it will gumm up and need cleaned so if your busy you replace the heating unit while the other one is being cleaned (read leave it in a pot of boiling water).

red maples
10-23-2014, 09:34 AM
just revisiting the cotton candy thing. I wanna start doing cotton candy. Anybody know where I can get the bags via mail order?

maple maniac65
10-23-2014, 10:37 AM
ULINE has the bags or Gold Medal Flour in Lawerance mass. I AM IN Nova Scotia right now but will be home to get sku numbers for you.

lew
10-23-2014, 05:45 PM
popcornsupply.com in Syracuse, ny. Excellent service and knowledge.