PDA

View Full Version : Filtering

caseyssugarshack93
02-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Do you have to filter the sap after it comes off the r.o ? and should i filter my sap before it goes thoguh the sap on the r/o ?

new to the whole r/o thing;;

Thanks,nate

mountainvan
02-16-2009, 05:00 PM
You don't have to filter the sap off of the ro, it may look a little yellow, but that's normal. I filter my sap through milk filters when it's going into the my feed tank, and then the sap is filtered again through a 5 micron cartridge filter that's part of my ro unit.

maplwrks
02-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Nate--Iwould run my sap through a BANJO filter before the feed pump. This will trap anything that could plug the pump. Sucking in bark and other foreign matter will plug your feed pump and slow the RO. Once it goes through your feed pump, it will go through a 5 micro filter to remove everything real small so that it won't plug your membrane. I picked up a BANJO filter today for $50. I've never run one before, but I've had a lot of trouble with my feed pump getting clogged.

caseyssugarshack93
02-16-2009, 06:13 PM
I got a pop on filter that leader sells i was thinking about hooking it up to a hose or a peice of 1inch main and have it plummed into the tank thats going to feed the r/o. dont really know what tank im gunna use yet to feed the r/o going to wait till i get it and then set everything up from there im just gunna have a 150 gal feed tank so i hope thats anough how high do u recoment i concentrate if im going to retail?

Haynes Forest Products
02-16-2009, 07:28 PM
I would concentrate it as much as if you were going to give it to a friend or your mother.

Brent
02-28-2009, 08:13 AM
While brousing for filters last year I found this bit of info on micron ratings of bags
here's the link to McMaster Carr
http://www.mcmaster.com/#about-filter-bags/=sr94z

At the top is a couple of paragraphs about ratings ... most interesting is the bit about "absolute rating"

Buying a 5 micron rated filter does not necessarily mean you're going to trap a lot of 5 micron stuff unless you get the
absolute rated filters, and even then you won't get all of it.