PDA

View Full Version : Tubing system on flat ground

gleasondaddy
02-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Ive never set up a tubing system so i need some help. My woods is on almost totally flat ground so how would i go about setting up a tubing system, i need help.

mapleack
02-16-2009, 11:51 AM
It depends on how truly "flat" the area is. If there is as little as 2% grade you can make tubing work if its installed correctly and tight with no sags. Another question is how many trees are we talking about? How big of an area? You may not be able to have every tree connected to one collection tank, but you may be able to have qroups of 10 to 20 trees connected so you have fewer collection points than having to go to a bucket on every tree. By simply starting the tubing run high and ending it low you can get adequate slope on short runs like I've described.

brookledge
02-16-2009, 05:46 PM
like mapleack said it may work. you need to give us more info especially the length of your bush from where you would want your tank to the last tap. Also I would recommend borrowing a laser from someone or buy a hand held site level($15-20) and see just how level it is.
You can do many things like burying the storage tank to allow the main line to start lower and tapping with a ladder if needed at the end.
Keith

Big maple
02-16-2009, 06:12 PM
Ours is set up on pretty much flat ground and it works pretty well. The main lines start about 6" off the flat area and end up alittle over waist high at the ends about 400' away. The releaser sits in the lowest part of the woods and we pump from there to the shack.

markct
02-16-2009, 06:35 PM
like someone else said, make sure it realy is flat, i had an area that i was worried about cause i thought for sure it had no more than maybe 6 ft of drop over the 600 ft i had to run, and when i sighted it with a laser lever one evening found it infact had over 20 ft of drop and flows pretty well it appears so far, i set my tank in the lowest point, a little bit of a depresion in the ground that was convenient. also the lower the tank the better, a pickup plastic tank or milk tank are nice and low, unfourtanatly on this line i have a 5 ft or so tall 300 gallon tank, but hey it was only 100 bucks used from bascoms so how could i complain! i have another area where a half inch mainline runs along the fencline trees on the edge of our property, nice even slope but at the very end of the line were a dozen more nice big trees on ground sloping the opposite way, so those ones got tapped up high, the last ones are up about 11 ft high but they have been flowing well so far

802maple
02-16-2009, 07:20 PM
The maplers out in Michigan can tell us about flat land. When it rains out there water gets confused which way to go and that is where Johnson sends there levels to see if they are truely reading level

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
02-16-2009, 07:33 PM
my woods actually runs away from the sugar house so my mainline starts out at the house 6 " above ground goes 400 feet to a height of 6 feet then a sap ladder gets me back to 6" then another 300 ft then another ladder

RICH

jason grossman
02-16-2009, 08:54 PM
flat ground is never a problem. i have done some pretty flat installs including some of my own. you just need to know exactly how much fall you are dealing with and if you have to go a long way break it up into smaller runs with some lifts. the biggest thing to remember is keep your lines TIGHT! one little sag can kill you on flat ground!

gleasondaddy
02-21-2009, 09:36 PM
I have about 30 acers i know i can tap with about 220 sugar maples on it. there is a gentle hill on the south edge facing north. I dont think its as flat as i thought i just need some technical help on how to set a tubing sysyem up. i may also be able to tap as many as 30 more acers of maples:D hope hope!

Big maple
02-21-2009, 09:56 PM
You are only an hour away from us and you are welcome to check ours out if you would like, and sugar bushes is pretty flat land too .they just put a new tubing system in.