PDA

View Full Version : grimm front

ryan marquette
02-16-2009, 09:22 AM
Are the tabs on the front of the arch, that the doors attach to, supposed to have some sort of bushing in them? My door pins fit snug in the doors, but are very sloppy in the tabs on the arch. The doors don't seem to stay closed real well. Arch front is an old 3' 2 pc. grimm with some warpage.

Haynes Forest Products
02-16-2009, 10:09 AM
What happens is from DAY one first time the arch heats up the pins in the arch face get hot and dont spin and they start the ware prosses. If you have room you could either get someone to weld the door holes up and redrill. Second you could go with a larger size rod and drill all holes bigger. Drilling the tabs/hinges can be tricky because the drill binds up against the face try getting a long bit they make then 12" and help. Air drills work good. I think every arch I see being loaded need the door lifted to get them to close and rest on the dogs.

colt454
02-16-2009, 04:25 PM
solve all the problems and buy (or build) a sealed front like i did no more door problems.

Dill
02-17-2009, 07:28 AM
Another grimm front question. When I was bringing my new to me evaporator home yesterday it self destructed. I have a complete break on the front casting. What's the best way to repair this? Will the mircale putty's hold up to the heat? I'm just looking to mickey mouse it for this season and rebuild it in the off season.

ericjeeper
02-17-2009, 07:32 AM
You will need to bolt on a backing plate of some sort. Clamp, drill, bolt it tight.
Good luck.

Mark-NH
02-17-2009, 08:05 AM
Bascom's has a pile of old Grimm arch pieces. I would look at replacing the broken front rather than chasing a fix. I bet it wouldn't cost a fortune and it would be relatively easy to swap out.

brookledge
02-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Like Ericjeeper said get a rugged piece of flat stock and clamp it in place and then drill and bolt it. on My last evaporator I had to put a plate on the inside of the arch. It really wasn't that noticable since the only thing you could see was 4 bolt heads.
Keith