PDA

View Full Version : We're tapping next weekend

Revi
02-16-2009, 08:09 AM
We're going to tap the tubing next weekend. Some of the big producers around here started tapping in January. Even if we have to wait a couple of weeks it will be okay. The season only lasts about 6 weeks, so that will be perfect.

We may have some run next week, but I'm not tapping any buckets until at least the beginning of March. Once they are in they need to be checked every day.

MapleME
02-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Revi, you should use some of the other folks on the trader as a guide for when to get your taps in. We have a pretty good coverage in Maine-and last year I remember Brunswick was at least 5-7 days behind Buxton- and a friend in Wiscaset was a week after me.

Just a thought- though I guess it cant hurt to get them in, but as you say-once they are in, your committed to checking.

Have a great season-
Josh MapleME

TapME
02-16-2009, 05:21 PM
Revi; good to see that you are going to tap. Its a time thing and if you a comfortable that's all that matters. My plans are for the second week in March the 10th threw the 12th. Can't be here for it any sooner. Just the way the cookie crumbles. I bet when I tap they run to beet the band. Just finished the first of my new tubing 29 on a gravity line, can you say natural vacuum (20 percent grade). Going to see how long it takes to fill a 55 gallon drum. Hope all your sapping dreams come true.

MapleME
02-16-2009, 05:52 PM
Lou, you know I was thinking- my taps only take a few hours at most to get in- if you need another helper, Id glady head up your way, drill in hand. I forgot you had so many trees (now Im jealous!)
Josh

TapME
02-16-2009, 07:58 PM
MapleME, I may just take you up on that offer.
Tomorrow the saphauler and I are going to string the 2nd location for our new line system. This side will have 5% grade and 25 to 30 on it. Trying to cut down on collection time. Will still have buckets some 135 of them most 5 gallon ones with tubing to them with mupital taps. Hope to be done buy next weekend.
May your sapping be sweet

Revi
02-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Gotta love those tubing runs. We have a 20% grade in some places, so I'll bet we get some natural vacuum as well.

We're getting ready for the season now.

It could be a good one.

God willing and the creek don't rise!