PDA

View Full Version : i need help wireing my carlin 102 crd burner

chrisnjake9
02-15-2009, 04:55 PM
i bought a new burner but has it has a funny 3 prong plug. I'm trying to convert it to regular plug inside the metal junction box the plug has a red, black and white wires my plug that I'm trying to wire in instead is black ,white and green help

Haynes Forest Products
02-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Is it funny because one of the prongs are twisted 90 degrees or are both 90 deg. out. That is a 20 AMP plug. Green is ground thats the round prong black goes to the line side thats the lower right on the outlet (smaller one) and common is the white thats the left (bigger one)

3rdgen.maple
02-15-2009, 06:25 PM
In my neck of the country the funny plug represents 220v. The spades on the plugs are shaped different so not to insert that plug into a 110v outlet and fry what you are trying to power. I would check voltage on that burner.

brookledge
02-15-2009, 07:03 PM
The bottom line is to check the specs on the burner. You say you bought a new one but I'm assuming it is new to you but it is used otherwise it wouldn't have a plug on it.
Anyways if the previous owner had a 20 or 30 amp plug on it, it may have been what they had not necessarily what it needs. If it draws say 18 amps you will need to stay with a 20 amp plug. It seems as though the burner shouldn't draw that much juice. So se what it says on the spec. plater and then go to Home Depot or an electric supply and you can get the right plug
Keith

chrisnjake9
02-15-2009, 10:03 PM
model 102 CRD-3 electrical rating 120 volt 60HZ 6.0 amps firing range 2.00-4.25gph this is a brand new unit i bought off ebay

3rdgen.maple
02-15-2009, 11:46 PM
If it is 110v you could just cut the plug off the end and just wire a new plug on. You would not have to try to figure out the wiring inside the burner itself that way. That funny plug could just be a twist lock plug I see them alot on printing equipment I work on. There are so many different plugs without seeing it It is hard to say. I believe inside that junction box there would be a green ground screw screwed into the frame where the green ground wire goes or a screw with a ground symbol next to it.The other wires in there probably are for different voltage setups. Does that plate reference both 220v and 110v. If so that red wire is probably for the 220v circuit and the black the 110v curcuit and the white the common. Just a thought but to be sure contact the manufacture Im sure they will help.

Uncle Tucker
02-16-2009, 06:46 PM
I am an electrician by trade. I have been out of the field for some years now (doing finish carpentry with my dad now). The problem with funny plugs is that they are standardized for different voltages and amperages. So I don’t think cutting off the plug and putting a new one on is the best idea. I know that residential and commercial wiring has standardized colors but product manufactures don’t have to. The colors you mentioned don’t directly correspond to ground, neutral, and hot. I would try to get a wiring diagram or have an electrician look at it. It sounds to me that it has an igniter and a blower, meaning 2 hots and a neutral. Most also have a fuel solenoid and an ignition sensor also but they might be wired internally. I am not saying that you won’t get it to work. I am just giving you some thing to conceder so you don’t have to buy another one.

Haynes Forest Products
02-16-2009, 07:04 PM
With these units your wiring the controler and that controls the igniter and motor that has the blower and pump attached. I would go on line and get the manual under the document section of the burner.

Haynes Forest Products
02-16-2009, 07:12 PM
OK looked it up 120 volts 5.8 amps If the plug looks like a regular plug BUT one of the prongs is twisted 90 degrees its still 120 volt just industrial type 20 amp. you will find them at H D and the outlets can be duel use.

Greg Morin
03-05-2009, 08:33 PM
typical oilburner wireing is black line voltage goes to black on cad cell relay oarnge coming out of relay feeds motor and, transformer all whites go together with the other transformer wire some have a blue wire this would feed transformer and oarnge will feed motor alone.