PDA

View Full Version : Mainline Tension Grips

NH Maplemaker
02-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Is there another source for buying Mainline tension baskets other than maple dealers? You know the stainless ones that go over the mainline pipe for pulling! Thank you!

Jim L.

Haynes Forest Products
02-15-2009, 11:56 AM
They might be costly but Elec supply houses use them for pulling wire. Sprinkler supply also have them for there pipe pullers.

Russell Lampron
02-15-2009, 03:23 PM
Jim you might be able to get them from an electrical supply house. Lowes, Home Depot and other hardware stores don't carry them. They are actually called service drops. I have not been able to find an online source that is less expensive than Bascom's believe it or not.

maple flats
02-15-2009, 05:01 PM
I ran short on some and ordered 6 from our local electrical supply house. I should have been smart enough to ask ahead but I KNEW the maple companies charge a premium so I just ordered them. When they came if I picked them up and got a real shock. They cost me $19.45 each for the size to fit 3/4" mainline and my Leader dealer sells them for $9.25 each. That was the first time I found a maple dealer cheaper than another source and also the last time I order without getting the price first. And the ones I ordered did not have a special order or small order charge nor a shipping charge added on.

maple flats
02-15-2009, 05:09 PM
For a few years i did not use them but I now use one on each main line or branch line at each end. I anchor the top with one anchored to the top anchor tree and then I have one at the bottom anchored with a medium heavy spring to the bottom anchor tree. The spring is tied with a rope and I adjust the spring tension. I am finding when I do it this way the line can expand and contract but does not get the dips I used to get between my tie wires in spots. I use a spring with about a 12' relaxed length and tie a rope to streatch it until I have about 70-80 lbs of tension. In the beginning I need to re tighten the spring every day or 2 but once it has tightened the line I have not needed to re tighten. The longest line i have is 900', If it was way longer I might need a longer spring.

Homestead Maple
02-15-2009, 07:47 PM
Polypropylene hollow braid rope, the 3/8" size works good for 5/16" tubing and I used to be able to find larger size poly rope for 3/4 and 1" but I haven't looked for it in awhile.

Amber Gold
02-16-2009, 07:10 AM
I got mine from Ralph Pill and I know Rockingham Electric (they're both local electric supply companies). The one's for 3/4" cost me $12 something. They're also called kellum grips and I also believe strain relievers (or something like that).

NH Maplemaker
02-16-2009, 07:32 AM
Broke down yesterday and picked some up at Bascom's. Believe it or not they were the cheapest around on the price!! The 3/4 were $11.25ea and the 1"were $13.85 ea !! So you never know. Pays to check round. I like the rope idea, But would be afraid that it would beak down from sun after a while! I do use it on my 5/16 drops.

Jim L.