PDA

View Full Version : scrubbing syrup pan...fine grit?

tuckermtn
02-14-2009, 02:31 PM
I have some tiny rust spots in my syrup pan...I did a small test section and elbow grease with a stainless scrubby seems to be the easiest way to get them off - but I'm concerned about the minor lines/scratches in the bottom of the syrup pan- is there another way to scrub these- like a 400-600 grit sandpaper, etc..to smooth it out again? I would think acid pan wash will not effect these as its a rust not a food based stain...

Haynes Forest Products
02-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Did you ever allow iron to sit in the pan it has a way of attaching itself to the stainless. I might try Navel Jelly and do a test to see what it does to stainless. Have you tried a Scotch Bright pad? They come with differant grits.

brookledge
02-14-2009, 09:11 PM
looks like you have 403 stainless pans. Does a magnet stick to the pan? There was a time when alot of 400 grade was being used. Now mostly 304 is used which has more nickel in it and iis non magnetic.
Any ways if it is magnetic that small spots is from the iron in the pan.
I'd use an corse scotch pad and see what that does. The pan should not rust back up imeadiately if you do get it off. I'd also dry the pan so moisture doesn't remain on the surface.
Keith