PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't you in the woods!!!!

gator330
02-14-2009, 07:57 AM
It's killing me, I had big plans to finish up tubing today starting at first light. Just before I was ready to walk out the door my wife told me she has to work this morning!!!!!! I think she did it on purpose!!!!!! What a great morning too, no wind, nice temp... Tools truck and tube all just sitting there ready to go. What can you do. If I didn't have the trader to read all morning there would be real trouble around here.

KenWP
02-14-2009, 08:34 AM
Well as far as I can tell it could be a month before I can tap so I get to sit in the house and read about how not to make maple syrup.

ericjeeper
02-14-2009, 08:47 AM
It's killing me, I had big plans to finish up tubing today starting at first light. Just before I was ready to walk out the door my wife told me she has to work this morning!!!!!! I think she did it on purpose!!!!!! What a great morning too, no wind, nice temp... Tools truck and tube all just sitting there ready to go. What can you do. If I didn't have the trader to read all morning there would be real trouble around here.

I do not understand the scenario here. Is it because you have small children that you have to stay in the house? Or you just do not wish to work in the bush alone?

gator330
02-14-2009, 08:56 AM
The idea of working in the bush is to be ALONE!!!! We have five kids the oldest is 15 but she does a lot already I'm not going to ask her to watch the littler one's, Any more then she has to already. The tree year old is sick so no chance of dragging him out. The others just do what sibblings do, fight over every thing!!!!! Not a real big deal hope she (My wife) is home around noon and I can still get it done.

HHM-07
02-14-2009, 09:58 AM
Be thankful your wife is working to suport your SWEET habit

mapleman3
02-14-2009, 10:29 AM
Heck, I'm not in the woods either, I should be there putting in drops and setting tanks, But... I am still with only 1 vehicle... the New Sap mobile will be picked up Monday !!! :)
I bought a 2003 GMC 2500HD 4 door crew cab 3/4 ton heavy duty !!
Charcoal color and fully loaded with everything including sprayed in Bedliner

I can't wait to get it setup!!

But today the wife has to run around doing errands, so I'm finishing up things in the sugarhouse. which is a good thing !!

mfchef54
02-14-2009, 10:40 AM
I 'm working until 3:00 p.m. Hopefully last nights beloww freezing temp will start another run for me

rob1640
02-14-2009, 12:39 PM
I made it to the woods this morning. Managed to break thought a huge frozen mud hole on the ATV. Long walk back to the house to pick-up the come along then back to the woods to free the ATV.

Finally got to plan out some new tubing locations.

Still a good day!

Now to the shop to finish welding up my new oil tank evaporator.

First year and loving it!

Rob

gator330
02-14-2009, 01:29 PM
Be thankful your wife is working to suport your SWEET habit

I think it was a freebe for her today. If it was for time and a half, like I could have been making. I might not mind so much. But I had Maple on my mind!!

Any way I was able to get out finished my laterals and set the rest of the drops. Also got a truck load of wood in the sugar house. Not bad for 3 hours. I have 9 laterals and a total of 65 drops all set to tap in. Also have my 10 pals to hang. It wouldn't be makeing maple with out some pals. That's my 75 taps for 09. Not shure but I have 500 more feet of 5/16 and a lot of trees just of the end of two of those laterals. Just that the pitch is getting flat up in there. If not going the other way. Nothing a labber won't cure.

Good day in the woods going back out soon to split a little wood may take a walk and look for one more lateral for a few more taps????

Just got a good offer The kids want to go hunting tree rats. Can look for a lateral or two and maybe do my part to thin the poplation of tube eaters!!!

maple flats
02-14-2009, 05:53 PM
One of my mains at the top end has trees I have to tap with an extension ladder. About 20 taps are between 8 and 14' off the ground. When I get vac there i can tap all at a comfortable tapping height. Get out the ladder and go for it.

gator330
02-14-2009, 07:07 PM
Ladder is in the truck I didn't get any tube eaters but I did put in one more line and five more drops. I found a run for at the base of the main I have to go over a good hump in the hill but if i get high enough I think just 12 or so feet pluse the being up hill part of it. I can grab a line of 8 trees that are all two drops each. Im going to do just one each that will give me 90. I need to stop this madness someplace!!!!

mapleman3
02-15-2009, 01:25 PM
I'm still doing maple stuff today but inside! It's the Daytona 500 baby!! so while watching today I'm making drop lines. I know I should be outside but.... IT's the DAYTONA 500 Baby!!

Go Kenseth # 17 Roush-fenway Racing( I'm also a Red Sox Fan so a great racing team !!)

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-15-2009, 02:13 PM
What good it the Daytona 500 doing for maple syrup?? Man you are getting soft in your old age! LOL!

3rdgen.maple
02-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Well Mapleman3 It must have been your maple madness in front of the TV that got Kenseth the win at Daytona. Nothing wrong with that.

mapleman3
02-15-2009, 06:11 PM
See ! making drops while watching made all the difference! Way to go Kenseth!

Although I do wish it was a race to the end win , but not complaining!!

3rdgen.maple
02-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Agreed rainouts are no fun especially if you where there on vacation. Congrats to Kenseth. Maybe you should send a quart of syrup to put in the car for goodluck who knows it could get him the championship

brookledge
02-15-2009, 06:34 PM
I've also become a Kenseth fan since John Henry became part owner. Matt didn't win once last year so this is a great start for him.
Keith

3rdgen.maple
02-15-2009, 06:40 PM
Hey brookledge you were post #17 things are getting weird around here.

hard maple
02-15-2009, 06:42 PM
Jim
nice truck you'll love it
that Dakota will seem a toy compared to the new SAP HAULER

mapleman3
02-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Yep I think your right Gabe... I'm looking forward to it for sure!!

Keith.. #17 post to thread... hahaha weird

I'd like to see him do well this year, i was a Dale Jarrett fan forever, and started going for kenseth too years ago when he filled in for Bill Elliot for a race and did great!