PDA

View Full Version : started tapping in kerhonkson

SUGARBROOKMAPLE
02-14-2009, 07:54 AM
started tapping yesterday barely wet the bit doesent look like much sap weather soon but will keep tapping its time

lmathews
02-14-2009, 08:49 AM
John,
How many taps this year?Let me know how you make out.It was nice this weak down there.Had that lovely training Friday Then headed home.
Lee

SUGARBROOKMAPLE
02-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Hi Lee should be around 1500 give or take.

SUGARBROOKMAPLE
02-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Have got 1100 in starting to run a little hopefully will have enough to start up by the middel of next week. still more taps to put out.

mountainvan
02-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Hey Jay. Good to see you on here. I was wondering if you were going yet. Hope you have a good season.

SUGARBROOKMAPLE
02-20-2009, 09:02 PM
hey Van how are you. went to Vt yesterday sure wish I had the money for an r/o It would be a big help, sure would save on the wood that I don't have.

mountainvan
02-20-2009, 09:08 PM
I'm good. Have 2,000+ taps in with more to go. I've already made 50 gals, but need to make more because that will be gone after the market tomorrow. Did you get the tubing done over the mountain from me? If your passing by stop in, I'll try and get over to you this spring. If you need wood I have some that fell on my house last week! Other than the great d+g evaporator I have the ro is my hired help and worth every dollar.

SUGARBROOKMAPLE
02-21-2009, 07:02 AM
Hey Van havent finished woodland valley I think Im alittle gun shy,I shouldn't be but affraid to put more money in the woods until I know how the trees are going to be. I think that the ones that made it by now will be ok but lost a few more from last year. Take care talk to you soon jay

SUGARBROOKMAPLE
02-23-2009, 08:53 PM
I'm good. Have 2,000+ taps in with more to go. I've already made 50 gals, but need to make more because that will be gone after the market tomorrow. Did you get the tubing done over the mountain from me? If your passing by stop in, I'll try and get over to you this spring. If you need wood I have some that fell on my house last week! Other than the great d+g evaporator I have the ro is my hired help and worth every dollar.

hey van do you have any problems with bears tearing up your tubing and mainlines we sure do

mountainvan
02-23-2009, 09:14 PM
I have one bush around the corner the bears bite the mainline to get a drink. I have vacuum on that bush now so no drink for them. My biggest problem is mice putting little holes in the tubing. A friend gave me some magic tape that works great sealing the little holes that the mice make. Are you ready for sap the end of this week? There's no frost in the ground here and the trees are ready to gush!

3rdgen.maple
02-23-2009, 10:46 PM
I don't get involved with tubing but I once had a discussion with a guy who did and asked him about the critters in the woods messing up his tubing. His answer was he did for years until he mixed up cayane pepper diluted with water and put it in a spray bottle and misted it on his tubing he claimed a critter would only bite it once and not come back for more.