PDA

View Full Version : "clear syrup"

dano2840
02-13-2009, 06:49 PM
has any one ever made "clear syrup" before? i have been told about it by a bunch of the old timers and my moms boy friend and his brother, my moms boy friend used to make it all the time in early march back when he worked for Gordie Irish, he ran all buckets, they say you have to have every thing super clean, and early season with sap with high sugar content and a hot fire, i was told it looks like water, but has that syrup consistency, very sweet, and very pleasing to the taste buds
Any one ever maid it or had it before?
DaNo

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Never saw it coming off a fire. I have seen some stuff that resulted from multiple freezes and throw out the ice that was pretty thick and sweet.

Clan Delaney
02-13-2009, 07:26 PM
I hear that Theron's close to making some with his RO (http://www.mapletrader.com/community/showpost.php?p=64416&postcount=141). :D

maple flats
02-13-2009, 07:29 PM
I have made it as my first produced in a season a couple of times. I would rather get a little darker. It would be light amber (super light in fact) and I found it to have too little flavor, barely a hint of maple.

dano2840
02-14-2009, 04:43 PM
hmm my moms boy friend said it was very very sweet and had lots of flavor, its been awhile though maybe he forgot

maple flats
02-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Many people often perceive light as being sweeter. The sugar% is the same but a lower maple flavor gives them the sensation of being sweeter. The darker syrup gets the greater the characteristic maple flavor gets.

Haynes Forest Products
02-14-2009, 05:36 PM
They did experiments with ROs freeze drying sap and it came out clear and tastless and was a expensive way of making sugar.

Maple/Cherry
02-14-2009, 06:31 PM
We save the early lite syrup for making candy. Work good for that.

Acer
02-15-2009, 06:35 AM
dano,
The old timers shining you on?
D

Beweller
02-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Repeating my post under "B Grade":

Centre Acer's Project 483 comes awfully close to saying that the characteristic maple flavor comes from the bacteria in the sap. Logically, so would the color.

SHOCKERS
02-25-2009, 08:22 PM
I just made my first clear syrup. I put in six taps to see if it was running. I got only about three gallons so I cooked it on the stove. It made eight ounces of clear syrup. Very Cool and Very sweet!!

SHOCKERS
03-07-2009, 11:16 AM
All I have made so far is clear syrup. Why is this? Can I even sell it this way for the same price? Will the clear syrup start to turn to normal color? All my trees are "in town", I don't now if this makes a difference. Last year was the first year syruping and all my syrup came from "in town" trees, the color was light but not clear.

junkyard
03-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Light sandy soil and higher elevation, fast boiling. best price but not much flavor. I was raised on syrup boiled on the old wood fired cookstove. I make in a black pan so it is darker.
junkyard