PDA

View Full Version : Tubing cracking at fittings??

CityMaple
02-13-2009, 05:03 PM
So I do not have as much tubing as most of you, I am still on my origional tubing that I purchased about 10 years ago. It is the blue hard plastic (cant remember the brand), i take it in at the end of the season. I just pulled it out to put it up and alot of the ends on the fittings are cracked. Is this the end of the line for the tube or am I assembling wrong?

Haynes Forest Products
02-13-2009, 05:11 PM
After 10 years of taking it down and storing and putting back up. it doesnt owe you anything. I have drops that have been getting hard and every year when im taping pulling on them I swear its the last time. They will start to develope stress cracks at the barb fittings on the taps and you can see them because they turn white in the area that will break. I have stressed barb fittings on stars and you can tell that its not long befor you split or break it.
I would can it and start over.

dano2840
02-13-2009, 06:30 PM
sorry to say, but its time to break out the check book, that stuffs done for, with the new maple flex tubing this wont happen, it will last years and years and years, so its well worth it, as mentioned that tubing you have doesnt owe you any thing, and you should be happy you got 10 yrs of service out of it, i cant wait to look back in 10 years when im 26 and go look thats the tubing i put up when i was just 16 years old, and be proud of my self even more so than i am now, but that leader stuff will still be there,

Russell Lampron
02-13-2009, 07:06 PM
It is a proven fact that you get more sap when the taps and tubing are new. Do yourself a favor and retire the old stuff, you will be glad that you did.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-15-2009, 03:45 PM
So what is the take on the new Memory flex compared to the 30p?? I like the 30p but refuse to buy it because the squirrels love it. I had 500+ drops out of it and have replaced most of them because my squirrels must have a fetish for it when they don't seem to bother the other stuff nearly as bad.

I like the Lapierre translucent tubing but am curious to see the consensous on the memory flex.

maple flats
02-15-2009, 04:50 PM
I have no squirrel damage this year on 30P. Last year I did have deer damage on one line I missed when cleaning. However if you get no damage on something else go for it. I have not tried memory flex just 30P. I find it works well and it is the only one my local dealer stocks. I would need to special order to get another one. I did try a few rolls of Lapierre about 3 seasons ago but found I had to retighten more often with that.