PDA

View Full Version : syrup nirvana

RI syrup
02-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Thank you forum members , followed all your advice,now have beautiful CLEAR sugar sand free syrup..... cheers rob

mfchef54
02-13-2009, 05:04 PM
that's what this site is all about.

Haynes Forest Products
02-13-2009, 05:14 PM
RI syrup: would you like to share with the class just what you did and how so we can all learn.

RI syrup
02-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Hi ,sorry, emptied a gallons worth of jars into a turkey fryer setup. MED to LOW heat, checked with a hydrometer 3-4 times until perfect. Now here is what worked, (from forum members). Used a paper pre filter ,clothes pins to keep it from touching the bottom inside of the orlon filter. When the syrup stopped passing through the pre filter I had another one (paper filter) at the ready and poured the clogged filter into a second pre filter . (clothes pinned up also). This keeps the syrup passing through the orlon filter. After filtering bring to 180 and its syrup nirvana. (THIS TIME ANYWAY) thanks rob

maple marc
02-13-2009, 09:22 PM
RI or anyone,

Why is it important to raise the pre-filter so that it doesn't touch the Orlon? Does it matter? I've always stacked 2 or 3 pre-filters inside the Orlon cone and they are all touching. What am I missing?

RI syrup
02-14-2009, 02:16 PM
From what I see, when the paper filter clogs you juet pour it into anotherpaper filter, (if there is a visual space between the paper and the orlon filter you can see when it stops passing through) This speeds up the filtering process (i.e.hot syrup passes through easier) It worked like a charm for me, give it a try. cheers, rob

mfchef54
02-14-2009, 03:08 PM
the purpose of the clothes pins is to keep the paper filter from folding over and not dirting the second filter when this happens. oh well if it finally worked Glad to hear it. no space intended. lol

RI syrup
02-14-2009, 04:10 PM
Now I got it. Right application wrong reason . LOL