PDA

View Full Version : Fire under flue pan?

pelz
02-13-2009, 03:38 PM
i just acquired some equipment, ( or got in over my head), it is a waterloo 2x6 7 inch raised, a 2x4 3 inch drop with injectors, it was piggy backed but the steam chamber was already sold. The fellow who had it, set it up so the 2x6 raised was over the fire box, i just hadn't seen a set up like that but then again i've never seen a rig other than flat panners in person. i have the option to set up the way it suits me since i am building the arch myself. any ideas or comments ? the steam chamber sat on the 2x6, with the 2x4 on it with some baffles to catch condensate, any ideas or plans for one of these, like how to direct the steam to the 2x4 or what exactly, also what diameter smoke stack should i be thinking about. i am sure this won't be my last plea for answers. thanks for your help.

p.s. i've been reading stuff here for along time and learning alot. A great group you are!!!

Haynes Forest Products
02-13-2009, 04:02 PM
pelz: First what part of wisconsin .........town.......... we wont come over for dinner without asking first. I posed the question about this very subject last week. I understand its being done and its not all that far fetched. Did you get a look at the arch it was on? Did the guy you got it from have any thoughts about how it boiled?
I may be wrong but I think that 75% of all the work is done in the flue pan and it needs the most heat to convert warm sap to syrup pan. Garth at Maple Pro who used to sell Waterloo Small is at this very moment setting up a pellet arch that is going to that very thing.
My understanding is you need baffels to get the heat to go up into the flues and then down and over to the syrup pans. I would call Maple Pro and have them get Garth to call you or quick sketch a drawing on how to do it. Do you have the skill to build and change the arch if need be.
I was told that you dont want to shoot flame on the flue pans if you boil with oil but wood flame is differant.

pelz
02-13-2009, 10:27 PM
it obviously worked well, he had made many a gallon on it. it was on a home made arch, oil tank, it makes me think i might try it also. i enjoy new thinking, as well as the ways we always did things.

i am in buffalo co., west central