Maple Hill Sugarhouse
10-22-2004, 06:33 AM
post edited

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-08-2005, 08:15 PM
post edited

Parker
04-09-2005, 03:51 AM
Kevin-I know you have posted it somewhere here but I have not found it.......after you take the reading from the sap what do you use to clean the refractometer,,,I would like to head up to the Hill sugarbush agine today and test some of those trees,,,what a GREAT looking bush that is,,,,a little brook meanders right down the middle of it,,the whole pipeline system would have to be redone,,,but am considering it,,,I just want to make sure it going to be worth it,,I would like to find some sweeter sap as the stuff I get is around 2%,,,,my low was my last boil at 1.3%,,,

Parker
04-09-2005, 03:56 AM
Kevin- the cup of coffe I was drinking just kicked in,,,,,did not have to look to hard to find the info..........got it ,,thanks

forester1
04-09-2005, 05:07 PM
Black Maple is closely related to sugar maple. They used to be considered the same species. It is hard to tell them apart. Their natural range is more south and farther west. The south half of lower Michigan and farther. They aren't abundant except in Iowa and Indiana. In your area there is a small population in southern Vermont near the New Hampshire border. Also extreme northwest New Hampshire and across northern New York and southern Ontario. Also up the Hudson river valley in New York. They are mixed in with sugar maple and grow together but sometimes in a population by themselves. They like moister soils and soils with more lime. The wood is similar to sugar maple and I think the sap would be as well. My silvics guide didn't have anything on the sap but that is where I got the rest of this information. I seem to recall from something I read long ago that Black Maples are more sweet on average than Sugar Maples, but I could be wrong on that.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-09-2005, 06:11 PM
post edited

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-09-2005, 08:38 PM
post edited.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-11-2005, 06:40 AM
post edited

ontario guy
04-11-2005, 08:21 AM
i have some Rock maple, it has more rounded leaves. Any ideas how these rate for sweetness? by the decription they say they are mistaken for sugar maples. I wonder if these are the same as black maple?