PDA

View Full Version : tapping at night = bad?

dano2840
02-12-2009, 07:08 PM
im leaving for florida at 3:30 am next sunday morning and will be getting back on the 2nd or 3rd, will be arriving at the air port and 4 pm and should be home by 5 was thinking of putting the headlight on and tapping through the night, is this bad? does it make any difference weather its day or night?

jrthe3
02-12-2009, 07:20 PM
dano i have taped at night befor from a tree stand point i don't think they know the diff but it is not the ezest thing to do when it is dark and can't see real well i always go back in the light to check it out and find some taps not taped

Smitty
02-12-2009, 07:25 PM
Good question Dano, I would be very interested in hearing some scientific
theory that supports nite tapping. Sometimes it is the only option i got.

Russell Lampron
02-13-2009, 05:35 AM
If it is the only time that you have available to do it strap on the light and go for it. Some of us do our best work at night.

802maple
02-13-2009, 06:05 AM
I have heard that if you tap at night you will disturb the trees sleep and it will forever hold it against you and not produce sap. One thing you don't want is a sluggish tree during sugaring. LOL

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-13-2009, 06:15 AM
Dano,
Given my sleep patterns, I'd rather do everything in the daytime and preferably in the morning. We do not however, always get our "druthers". I think you would do a better job tapping in the daylight. easier to not miss taps, easier to see tree scars and old tap holes etc. If you get home and the sap is running, you may decide time is "awastin' and tear right into it. If you get home tired from your vacation, a good nights sleep and daylight and a lame excuse to get you out of school (oops, I didn't suggest that) might be more productive. Enjoy Mickey Mouse. I think I still would at 58.
Doug

fred
02-13-2009, 10:10 PM
wait till daylight .it is much safer. too many things to trip on. you will be real sorry if you get close to old tap holes and get no production