PDA

View Full Version : Sample (small) Bottle source?

Groves
02-12-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm just a southern Missouri homeowner that taps enough to make a few gallons a year.

We want to give it all away, except what my large belly holds, and we love spreading the joy around.

Thus, we're looking for advice in the "small and cheap" bottles department. We can use small ziploc containers, but it would look so much nicer with something more refined.

We've purchased plenty of 12oz syrup bottles from Freund, but what do you guys have experience with in the 2 - 4oz range?

Dennis H.
02-12-2009, 06:28 PM
I use the small jelly mason jars. Very cheap and very easy to fill.
Just put the hot syrup in and put on the lid and ring, turn upside down and let set till cool.

I also use pint mason jars when I want to give a little more.

maple flats
02-12-2009, 06:31 PM
There are lots of bottles available in 40 and 50 ml (50ml=1.7 oz) Get the plainest bottle for best price. If you are giving them away, ask them to return the bottle. A well cleaned bottle can be re used for giving away but get a new cap for a good seal. Caps are not re usable unless everything will be refrigerated or better frozen until used. I re use several bottles but not for retail sales, those are all new.

Haynes Forest Products
02-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Im sure that the Maple Guys sell bottles there is a nice little glass jug that looks like a gallon moon shine bottle like old cider bottle would work well in your neck of the woods......OPPS did I say that.
Its 50ml 69 cents each

Groves
02-12-2009, 11:45 PM
We used the 4oz small jelly jars last year. The short squatty ones. They look fine enough, but man, pouring syrup out of them is painful. Awful mess. Taints the whole experience in my opinion.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check em out.

ackerman75
02-13-2009, 08:31 AM
I had the same problem years ago, try using a turkey baster to suck syrup out of the jars.

Groves
02-13-2009, 08:38 AM
I had the same problem years ago, try using a turkey baster to suck syrup out of the jars.

It's a good idea, but rather cumbersome to explain to my gift receivers.

Actually, I'm finding a number of closeout small bottles at the typical places online.

Z/MAN
02-13-2009, 02:57 PM
You can also use baby food jars. They are free and plentiful if you know someone with a newborn. They don't vac seal very well but to give them to someone who will use the syrup almost immediately (which most people do)they do the job.