PDA

View Full Version : selling syrup

zippy1wood
02-11-2009, 07:31 PM
I have been making syrup 3 yrs now filtered and bottled some last year
came out real nice sold all at my friends store but he sold store.
Id like to know what the laws are for selling syrup in mass is there special
regulations? Thanks

Clan Delaney
02-11-2009, 07:44 PM
I.... don't think so. There are larger/longer operating MA producers here that could answer this much better than I.

For the time being, I just make sure I'm bottling in clean, new bottles, at the correct temperature, and selling to people I know. I'm not big enough yet to consider the venture a business, or treat it as such on my taxes. I don't see it as any different from, oh, a lemonade stand right now... 'cept my lemonade is made of maple syrup.

Clan Delaney
02-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Oh, hey... where in the state are you?

zippy1wood
02-11-2009, 08:28 PM
I have been making syrup 3 yrs now filtered and bottled some last year
came out real nice sold all at my friends store but he sold store.
Id like to know what the laws are for selling syrup in mass is there special
regulations? Thanks

Im in raynham tap mostly reds 60 buckets going to try tubing at friends about 80 trees

brookledge
02-11-2009, 09:56 PM
At the present as long as you are only selling syrup and are not selling food like pancakes with syrup then you are all set.
The only thing you need to do is properly grade it and it must have your name and address on it.
In Mass we have a manual that is called Best practices or something to that effect. It covers all of the sanitary issues and best methods you shoud use to prevent problems.
Just remember this never sell any syrup that has problems or not grades properly. Word of mouth travels fast and if one customer complains it will affect your sales.
Keith