PDA

View Full Version : converting from wood to oil on 2x6

chrisnjake9
02-11-2009, 07:27 PM
hi, I'm going to oil because of time I bought a Carlin 102 ? I would like to see some pictures of other evaporators so i can get some ideas thank you

Haynes Forest Products
02-11-2009, 10:58 PM
It can be as easy as cutting a hole in the fire door and screwing the flange onto it and resting the burner on some bricks. The oil line, elec is the easy part.
Now if you have time I would make a new door out of steel plate and insulate it with blanket. Might need to make the fire box smaller thats easy. Dont shove the tube to far into the fire box. You want the heat as close to the front of the syrup pan for good boil. I also recommend a on switch that is hard to reach that doesnt look like a light switch or can be reached by kids. Oil tank with filter and atleast 3/8 oil line copper. mount the burner so the flame will hit the back of the combustion chamber. Dont mount it to high you need the heat to cumbust in the chamber and fan out and hit the syrup pans.

mapleman3
02-12-2009, 06:19 AM
If you already have brick in it, you can use the 2300 deg ceramic blanket, line the whole firebox with it, I took out the grates on mine and dropped them to the floor and layed the ceramic over them doubled up...there is a stuff called water glass, you use it to hold the blanket in place and seal up the seams or where it overlaps. I got it from a heating /plumbing supply house, the blanket came on a roll off ebay.

I made a plate and welded tabs on to use the door pins... so it went in place without and modifications... I tried to center the burner height in the firebox.

What kink of evap is it? I still have the plate, it went on an algier, but may fit.
(unless Maplewalnut wants it for his Algier I sold him)

I went with a 2 pipe oil line system. do a search on oil burners here, lost of info that we may end up re-posting here.

I posted a pic on my Picasa album linked below. I will look for some other pics at home

KenWP
02-12-2009, 07:51 AM
I made a incinerator with a oil gun and never fire bricked or insulated around the gun and kept melting the igniter coils. I finally had to start over with insulation in order to keep the thing working. It also had a digatal timer temp gauge gizmo on it and that melted into scrap also. I also had to use a 60 degree nozzle on it to get it hot enough to burn what I was burning also.

802maple
02-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Your oil burner should be 13 inches below the bottom of your pans with a target wall at about 24 iches away, The top of the target wall should be as close to dead center of the height of the burner as possible creating a deflection of heat for good boil in your front pan.

chrisnjake9
02-12-2009, 01:44 PM
i just got my burner today its a Carlin model #p9802 with a 3 to 4.5 gallon rating I'm going to try to make a plate for the front of the arch or see if i can find one the arch is a waterloo small the pans are ls bilodue i found the burner on ebay for 119.00 brand new in box i think Bascom's sells the same one for 519.00 i would like to see some pictures of a evaporator set up so i can get some ideas thank you for the info its well appreciated

Haynes Forest Products
02-12-2009, 02:20 PM
My two line pump doesnt have to have the secomd line back to the oil tank it just Ts into the main fuel line about two feet before the burner

chrisnjake9
02-12-2009, 02:51 PM
do you need both lines to feed the gun

Haynes Forest Products
02-12-2009, 04:13 PM
The reason for the two lines is as the pump pressurizes the oil to the nozzel what doesnt get used goes to the return line and is recirculated. Its a pressure release feature. It allows you to change nozzels and the pump adjusts. Power washers, airless paint sprayers some deisel engine pumps have the same bypass system. It is a way to keep from blowing seals or over heating the pump. You need only one to feed the pump but two to make it work. When I installed my new Beckett I blew the pump seal in about 10 seconds. *&%$$@@!&()......OK did anyone see the instructions.

KenWP
02-12-2009, 04:20 PM
I have 4 different oil burners on the place and only the oldest one has a return line. I always wondered about that.

caseyssugarshack93
02-12-2009, 05:21 PM
I dont know if this is right but i gave it a shot, just put it in today, going to boil on the weekend to see how it does, i just cut some steel cut a hole around 4 inches below center and mounted it to my archhttp://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo181/Caseyssugarshack93/Oil%20burner/Oilburner001.jpg (http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo181/Caseyssugarshack93/Oil%20burner/Oilburner001.jpg) click on that link and theres a picture, if it helps at all

Haynes Forest Products
02-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Is it just hanging there. When I turn my burner on there is a start up pressure that could blow the plate that the gun is atached to it onle happens ehen the oil fires. It will rattle the pand so screw the plate on. Also make sure that you put a good switch that is child/adult proof so people dont turn it on or shut it off on you thinking its a light switch. Mount the switch up high so you dont bump into it. Will the flame hit the back of the combustion chamber?

caseyssugarshack93
02-12-2009, 06:41 PM
i have no idea how its gunna boil yet i just hooked it up today im gunna try it out this weekend probably im putting a 3.5 gal perhour nozzle on it what angle ozzle would be good i have a 3.5 and its 45 degegee i was told i need a 90 ?

KenWP
02-12-2009, 06:48 PM
A 45 degree will shot out a pretty long hot flame. If a evaporator works like a furnace you would probbably want a flater or short flame to heat up the fire box instead of the far wall of it.

caseyssugarshack93
02-12-2009, 07:33 PM
i dont know im gunna experiment with some differnt degree nozzles and see how it goes.

chrisnjake9
02-17-2009, 08:56 PM
well i fired her up today. wow the door was red in 10 minuets i almost melted the new burner i need some insulation blanket but local store wants 375.00 for 1x 2x24 any body know where i can get it cheaper i hope by taking out target wall and insulating the front i can stop it from melt a down any ideas on nozzle size and degrees thanks for all the information so far

brookledge
02-17-2009, 09:03 PM
Ebay. I have not bought any from there but some of the traders have and have had good luck. Not sure on the amount of time it will take to get to you though.
Keith

markct
02-17-2009, 09:56 PM
mcmaster carr has it, i think it was about 100 bucks for my inch and a half thick blanket that was 2 by 25 ft long