PDA

View Full Version : height of sap storage tank question

NYScott
02-11-2009, 05:29 AM
If my sap storage tank is higher than 1 ft above the float box do I need a pressure regulator tank? Mine is a bout 8 ft above the float box. I do have an inline ball valve.

Smitty
02-11-2009, 09:33 AM
If my sap storage tank is higher than 1 ft above the float box do I need a pressure regulator tank? Mine is a bout 8 ft above the float box. I do have an inline ball valve.
NYScott,

My tank is about 3' above my float box, i do not have a regulator and it seems to work fine. It does make it alittle touchy to keep the float adjusted properly. How big is your storage tank

maple flats
02-11-2009, 10:27 AM
8' might be a little too much pressure for the float valve to shut off properly upon shut down. At that time close the ball valve. I would think during the boil you would be OK. Try it.

Smitty
02-11-2009, 12:42 PM
8' might be a little too much pressure for the float valve to shut off properly upon shut down. At that time close the ball valve. I would think during the boil you would be OK. Try it.
My 1000 gal tank is only 3' above my float valve, it is not much of a problem
until i get down to my last 100 or so gal. The fuller the tank the tighter i have to adjust the float, so if i start with 500 gal, when i get down to 100 or so, the head pressure drops so much that the float valve is to tight that my pan runs out of sap. so the closer you can get the tank level to the float level (12" is perfect) the easier it will be to maintain the sap flow.
i hope this helps

NYScott
02-11-2009, 01:40 PM
THe sap storage tank I am using is a 300 gallon bulk tank. If I get enough time to plumb a pressure regulator tank I will, I'm begining to feel a little under the gun. This 45 degree weather outside is NOT helping!.

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-11-2009, 05:17 PM
NYSCOTT,
Come On man. We are here in the North Country. We are having a late January thaw. Next week will be perfect February working weather. 20 degree days and single digit nights. We have lost a bunch of snow and what is left will freeze hard and we will get a bunch done. Sugaring generally starts up here after March 1 and I haven't tapped before March 10 for the past several years. We have time and it will all get done (or at least enough so we can make syrup).
Doug