PDA

View Full Version : Is there a safe way to clean plastic barrels

NYScott
02-11-2009, 05:27 AM
I have found a source of 55 gallon plastic barrels, but they previous contained cleaning chemicals, like soap and alkalye. Does anyone know a method for cleaning these that would ensure they would be safe for sap gathering?

Fred Henderson
02-11-2009, 06:30 AM
DO NOT use them. The product will be imbedded in the plastic. Try finding a Yogart plant and get some barrels from them. A lot of times at the end of a flavor run when cleaning out the machine it goes in a barrel and they hire some one to haul it away for animal feed. The barrels then end up at the haulers place of business and can be purchase pretty cheap.

tappin&sappin
02-11-2009, 07:28 AM
Ditto... Don't use those barrels.

I get 55 gal plastic drums from a local juice company.

- Jake

802maple
02-11-2009, 08:50 AM
Besides the chemicals that were in them, most likely they are not food grade and a good share of them are made out of rcycled plastic when they are made for chemical storage, then who knows what was in them.

sugarin4fun
02-11-2009, 10:55 AM
tappin&sappin

I'm from Cranesville PA and could use a few food grade 55 gal drums for sap storage, how would I go about getting them.

Thanks, Greg

tappin&sappin
02-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Greg... I usually get them from Welchs in North East. However, I just called last week and they said there were all gone. Asbury Woods cleaned them out.

- Jake

NYScott
02-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Well I found another source, a local milk/yogurt/cheese plant. Food grade barrels for free. I'm going to pick up ten tonight!

NedL
02-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Home Brew supply store. They get the malt extract in barrels. Maybe even if you have a brewery in your area.