PDA

View Full Version : advice

slammer3364
02-11-2009, 12:08 AM
Only my second year 90 taps I have a 18x48 Dominion and Grimm hobby evap How do you start off Run sap thru all the pans or what Do you use a hydrometer or thermometer for draw off I was planning on runninig my sap at 2 to 2and half inches Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated

Flat47
02-11-2009, 05:11 AM
Welcome from Maine!
I'd start off with a bit more sap in the pans (2.5" or 3" is good) until experience and confidence grows (won't take long). Then work down to 2" or just less. The pans will need to have sap in them before you start a fire and it will take several hours before your ready for the first draw off, but after the first the next will come sooner. It just takes a while for the sugar gradiant to develope in the pans so that you have sap on one side and syrup on the other.

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-11-2009, 05:27 AM
Slammer,
Start by putting raw sap in the entire evaporator and start the fire. As evaporation goes on, additional sap will be drawn in and the gradient will create itself. A depth of 2 and 1/2 inches may be a bit deep but it is probably a good place to start. as you learn how your pans boil and get used to the system, you may begin to run it shallower to get a faster boil rate.

Maplewalnut
02-11-2009, 07:55 AM
Slammer- as others have said fill the pans before you start your fire. Then as it starts to boil you need to trickle sap into your pan. You will find that you need to regulate the sap coming in with water being evaporated. Once you get that dialed in..boil away. Does this unit have dividers in it? If so you will need to test the syrup nearest you drawoff valve with your hydrometer.

It will take a few hours probably until you have anything close to syrup. Kepp testing it and keep an eye on your level. When you get comfortable, drop your level down to say 2inches or even 1.5 inches after a few boils.

When you have a good hydrometer reading, draw alittle off (maybe a quart) and then shut your valve Repeat as necessary.

Haynes Forest Products
02-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Well said by others plus dont empty the pans between boils. You stop cooking and its best to close valves between pans. When you start up start the fire wait 5 min and remove the plugs or open the valves and off you go.