PDA

View Full Version : Does it really matter where you tap?

Thompson8
02-10-2009, 06:43 PM
I heard that the best place to tap is either above a root or beneath a branch but does it really matter. Also does anyone know of any maple equipment suppliers in central or western mass?

thanks
John

John Thompson
60 taps into 5 gallon jugs
40 buckets
2x2 arched flu wood fired

tuckermtn
02-10-2009, 07:36 PM
thats what I shoot for, but I have no quantitative evidence to back it up...

maple flats
02-10-2009, 07:38 PM
As for tapping, you will eventually use the entire circumferance of a tree. Some areas around it may flow better than others, maybe not, just tap. Next year when you tap go up or down 6" and over a couple inches and tap again. Follow this pattern around the tree year after year. Do not tap all trees on the same side, north south etc, but rather be random. That way every year will have a similar mix and a similar chance to excell.
Dave
PS, for a dealer, go to any mfgr web site and look in a catalog online, they will list the dealers and addresses. To find a dealers site just google the evaporator manufacturer's name, if brand does not matter use any and all names you can think of. You could also try The maple Guys, who are one of our sponsors.

brookledge
02-10-2009, 10:58 PM
CDL dealer in Williamsburg on Rt, 9 Keith Dufresne
http://www.berkshiremaple.com/
click on maple supplies.
Another one is Red Bucket Sugarshack in Worthington
or here is the link from mass maple
http://www.massmaple.org/equipment.html
And I agree with maple flats as to tapping practices
Keith

dano2840
02-11-2009, 08:08 AM
i was always told to tap above a root or under a branch, but it really wont matter you can only do that for a year or 2 so just do what was said tap around the whole circumfrance of the tree over the years then move up 6" i read an article in farming mag. about how the tree was made up and what a tap hole did to the tree, the tree carries sap both horizontally and vertically, so i think you will get just as much sap either way, just dont tap knots

DaveB
02-11-2009, 12:29 PM
CDL dealer in Williamsburg on Rt, 9 Keith Dufresne
http://www.berkshiremaple.com/
click on maple supplies.

I would avoid these guys. I tried to do some business with them earlier last year and the guy changed prices on me after I confirmed what he was charging. Real rude to me too.

Another dealer in central Mass. is Devon Lane Farm Supply in Belchertown:
http://www.devonlane.com/

They carry a bunch of stuff on-site which is nice.

Dave

Thompson8
02-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I've already been to Devon Lane Farm Supply in Belchertown and they had alot of basic supplies. I've already been to the other sites too i was just wondering if there were others that i hadn't already known about. I'm thinking about putting in the tap this weekend but i don't know if it the right time yet.

ennismaple
02-12-2009, 10:57 AM
IMO - It doesn't matter where you tap as long as it's sound sapwood. The tree doesn't have veins like you and I.

Remember - sap runs from the tree due to a pressure differential. The tree is under high pressure and when the atmospheric pressure is low enough the sap will be released. That's why the sap will run better on a cloudy day than a beautiful day with clear blue skies - provided the temperature is the same.

Russ008
02-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Believe it or not my trees run better if I tap them on the west or south side of the tree .
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the subject of buying maple equipment and supply's, I recommend a trip to Bascomes in Alstead NH. If you've never been there You'll be surprised to find a place like this in the middle of nowhere !

Russell Lampron
02-22-2009, 06:11 AM
I have watched trees with buckets and how they run for years and I agree with ennismaple that it doesn't matter where you tap. The south and west sides run better early in the season and the north and east sides make up for it later in the season. The important thing is to use the whole circumference of the tree and move up or down from year to year for tree health.

Russ008
02-02-2014, 10:02 AM
This Year I'm trying to get most my trees on a line. They seem to produce more .