PDA

View Full Version : 3" mainline

SUGARSMITH
10-15-2004, 10:01 AM
I am continueing this from the post I put up in the tubing thread.

At my vacumn pump I can pull 30" and at the furthest point I get 10".

I have checked for leaks found some but it doesnt seem to increase. My thought is to run a 3" mainline out to the sugarbush, about 200' thinking that if I can increase the cfm of air I can move will increase the amount of vacumn I am pulling. I set the mains up with a transit so it is all on gravity as well.

Right now I have 2 - 1" lines from the releaser going to the woods.

I have about 400 taps on this and if I can get this system set up with good vacumn, I would like to go to 1000 on it.

The other option I am thinking is running out a 2" dryline to the edge of the woods with a booster.

Thought and ideas are more than welcome

Dan

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
10-15-2004, 01:17 PM
Post Edited

10-15-2004, 02:26 PM
Yep , what kevin said you have leaks. Going to larger mainline won't help that at all. When you have lots of little leaks or one big one its hard to find them because the vacuum is so low on the end of the system that they don't hiss or even hardly pull bubbles.
You may have to break up the system into smaller sections with valves and or temporary pieces of mainline to find what is leaking the worst. If you have old vinyl tubing (33u) every fitting may be leaking a little. If the tubing spins easily on the barb fittings they will leak.

brookledge
10-15-2004, 07:08 PM
Dan,
What size is your vacuum pump? Do you have atleast 1 CFM/100 taps? 1.5 Cfm/100 taps would be better. Also the rating of the CFM should be at your desired setting 18" to 20", not the open flow rating.
If you do not have a large enough vacuum pump you will get the same results. Just a thought if you are sure you have no leaks. Another idea is you could have a blockage in your main line. try taking it apart if you have any connections in it.

SUGARSMITH
10-18-2004, 10:47 AM
You rais a great point

I dont have the specifics on the vacumn pump that I have. It is a milking machine conversion. It is rather large though. I have looked around for info on it but cant seem to find any. Its made by zero manufacturing. If anybody knows where I can get info on it, I would greatly appreciate it.