PDA

View Full Version : Correct way to install spiles

KenWP
02-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Since this is my first year of tapping maples I have a problem. When I drill a 19/64 or the 7/16 hole and insert a spile it does not go in very far when I tap it in. All the pictures I see show them inserted deeper into the tree but for me to do that I would have to pound them really hard. Almost like driveing a nail. Am I doing something wrong. I have been practiceing on a peice of tree trunk so I am ready for the real thing.

Bucket Head
02-10-2009, 04:54 PM
No, don't hammer them like nail's! This ain't carpentry! LOL!

Tap them in until they seat. On the new "Sweetest Drip" DVD, the narator explains the seating of a spile like this; "tap, tap, tunk". When you hear the sound change, the "tunk", its in. I thought it was a good explanation.

You don't want to drive them in and then split the bark. Then sap will run down the tree instead of into your bucket. You also cause undue injury to the tree.

There could be a couple of reasons offhand for what you saw in the photos. Trees with very rough bark would give the illusion that the tap was in farther. Also, who knows if the guy putting in those taps was using the correct size bit? Do you know how many people can not read a ruler?

As long as the tap is seated, your good.

Steve

peacemaker
02-10-2009, 05:00 PM
you are trying to set them in a dead stump correct ?if so theres the problem

Flat47
02-10-2009, 05:53 PM
I think it's easier to hear the difference in sound with tubing systems. With metal spouts, it's just seating them in there snug like Bucket Head said. With that said, what are you using for spouts?

KenWP
02-10-2009, 08:31 PM
I can understand the tap tap thunk part. I tried in a live tree today also and with the 5/16 black plastic spile or eco spile it went into the tree about 3/4 of a inch and was tight. I have seen pictures on here of guys hanging containers off them but with so much sitting out of the tree I am afraid of it breaking off. The same with the flat steel 7/16 spile. It is tight but there is only about the same 3/4 of a inch in the tree and the little bumps that hold the hook are away from the trunk a fair ways. Will they hold a 2 gallon bucket.
I plan on useing the 5/16 first if I can so that if I have to redrill I can go to the metal 7/16 or even go and buy some 7/16 plastic ones. Like I said this is my first spring living in Quebec and first time tapping trees.

VA maple guy
02-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Like Bucket Head said, Don't drive them to hard. Also be more carefull
if you are tapping trees that are frozen, they will split eaiser.
Gerry

Flat47
02-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Sounds like you're on the right track and doing well.
The eco/health spouts I've used were just lke you said - only going in a very short ways, so I think what you are experiencing is normal. New health spouts are quite flexible, so not much worry of breaking them. Hanging buckets from them may be another challenge, though. I've never done it, so I don't know if they'll hold in the tree. Try it and see.

Sugar Sue
02-10-2009, 10:06 PM
We tapped for the first time this year also. We have used the 7/16" metal spouts and wondered the same thing. They did not seem to go in very far. We did hang our 2 gal buckets on them and a lid. They are holding very well. Some of them have been 3/4 full and are still holding. We also put in some 7/16" plastic spouts with just the drops on them. They are working well also.