PDA

View Full Version : Reducing size of draw off pipe

maple marc
02-10-2009, 01:02 PM
The draw off pipe on my 2x4 is 3/4" stainless at a 45 degree angle. I usually am trying to run the syrup into a hydrometer cup, and at the rate I draw off it tends to get sort of dribbly and messy. I'm thinking of reducing this large pipe to something smaller, and maybe make it run straight down. Should I be concerned about the metal I use? Would it be OK to use brass or galvanized? I'm wondering about imparting any off flavor to the final product. Do people use copper?

Thanks

Fred Henderson
02-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Try holding the cup over the syrup channel or hang it on the partition and use your scoop to fill it. The syrup be be much hotter this way. If it don't make the grade pour it back and leave the cup hanging there to keep it warm.

Haynes Forest Products
02-10-2009, 03:16 PM
My 3x10 came with a 1 1/2" at a 45 degree like yours. Mine came with the O ring clamp style connectors and I ordered extra caps or blanks. I took one of those and drilled and taped it to 3/4 pipe NPT. I then came out with copper fittings.
3/4 threaded fitting sweat to 2" pipe then 90 degree 2" pipe and then full flow ball valve then a 2" section of pipe to allow smooth draw off. Make sure that you clean the heck out of it to get rid of and flux and crap boil in pot on stove and add vinigar scrub and move the ball valve open and closed during the rinse part of cleaning.
Im going to reduce mine down to 1/2" to slow the draw down so I dont over draw. Now you ask why not just dont open the valve as much? Well If I regulate the flow buy the valve it comes in a partial spray and not a nice flow.
I draw off into my cup then dump into the drawoff and let it sit 10 seconds to warm up the cup and CLEAN OUT the thick syrup that will be in the cup and then dump in bucket and then redraw my test syrup.

HHM-07
02-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Ihave a 2x4 with a 3/4 ball valve then a 90 degree copper then reduced to 1/.2 seems to work fine , hold your cup close to your outlet

HHM-07
02-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Ihave a 2x4 with a 3/4 ball valve then a 90 degree copper then reduced to 1/.2 seems to work fine , hold your cup close to your outlet

Dick

HHM-07
02-10-2009, 04:52 PM
sorry i must have studdered

maple flats
02-10-2009, 08:13 PM
I also have a 90 degree ball valve 3/4" reduced to 1/2. I then regulate flow by partially opening draw off valve. I use hydrometer and then look at thermometer. I then continuous draw slowly and regulate it trying to maintain continuous flow watching thermometer. I draw slightly heavy and adjust at the canner after the filter press..