PDA

View Full Version : pvc

Acer
02-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Anyone get away with pvc fittings and valves or do they break when they freeze. Mostly they will be dry when freezing but have 2 spots that will freeze wet unless I change something.

Dean

Haynes Forest Products
02-09-2009, 03:18 PM
PVC<STEEL< ABS< GLASS They all break when water/sap freeze in them. You could always not glue the end cap fittings to the main tube and pound it on tight and put a wrap of wide (Home Depot 2" wide tape in plumbing dept) tape around the unglued joint to stop vacuum leaks and if it freezes it will push the ends off and not distroy its self. Just make sure that you check it every morning. Its like a freeze plug in old cars. Even they didnt always work because by the time the were pushed out the block was trashed. Putting in a flapper type check valve will dump all your sap if the pump stops or you quit early.

powerdub
02-24-2009, 06:33 PM
I have over 1000 feet of 2 inch main line schedule 40 pvc. Every branch main coming in is valved. I have only had one valve break due to a tree falling on it. Last year said tree caused line to freeze for about forty feet and it never split. One thing I have made sure of though is that everything drains as much as possible.

danno
02-24-2009, 06:45 PM
I have over 1000 feet of 2 inch main line schedule 40 pvc. Every branch main coming in is valved. I have only had one valve break due to a tree falling on it. Last year said tree caused line to freeze for about forty feet and it never split. One thing I have made sure of though is that everything drains as much as possible.

He's alive!!!! Welcome back Scott - long time since I've seen you on here.

powerdub
02-24-2009, 07:15 PM
thanks Danno, been a long busy year.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Scott,

I second the great to see you back, it has been a long time and wondered what was going on with you.

Homestead Maple
02-24-2009, 09:03 PM
Lapierre's 150,000 tap operation in Quebec uses a lot of PVC to move sap from the bush to the sugar house.

royalmaple
02-24-2009, 11:58 PM
Dean I have had pleanty of boosters freeze up, tank lines freeze up, you name it freeze up. Some of them break and some don't. It is a roll of the dice. I wouldn't let that stop you from using the pvc. Use sched 40.

Russell Lampron
02-25-2009, 05:32 AM
Welcome back Scott. It's to see you back on the trader.

Dean,

Because of the price and the quantity used PVC is the best bang for the buck. If I used brass ball valves for everything I would go bankrupt. I have only had a couple of PVC ball valves break. Usually because of a tank full of sap bouncing around not a freeze up. Do what you can to eliminate the places where it can freeze and don't worry about it to much.

Haynes Forest Products
02-25-2009, 08:11 AM
I use the PVC on my releasers 12 total and For the cost you cant beat them.