PDA

View Full Version : Drawing off light

Mac
02-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Question....I will have a 2 x 3 with three channels. My plan is to draw off a little light in small batches, filter it into my 12 x 20 finisher.... then when I have a gallon or so finish it.. My question is do I need to refilter before I bottle it?
Thanks in adavance
Mac

Haynes Forest Products
02-09-2009, 03:25 PM
I have a hard time not reheating to a boil then refiltering but I have a press. My understanding is you can reheat (DONT BRING TO BOIL) and bottle. If it boils you will bring out the sedement and it will show in the bottles. I just cant bring myself to do it.

Mac
02-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks... no press here yet... so I will just bring it to 180 or so and bottle it. Thanks
Mac

mfchef54
02-09-2009, 04:10 PM
how light is light. I guess if you are sure you are at the right brix it shouldn't be a problem. Last year I was pulling it off at about 6 above boiling ,filtering and finishing in the house and filtering it before bottling. worked just fine. why would not want to filter a second time? Just curious.

maple flats
02-09-2009, 04:59 PM
I like drawing slightly heavy and then thinning with light (density not grade) to get correct density. I find doing this i do not have to refilter. Every time you boil it you should re filter and every time you boil you make it some darker. Try to just boil once for better grade syrup.

802maple
02-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Anytime syrup is heated in excess of 193 degrees, nitre will start to form and it will need to be filtered especially in glass as it will show up in the bottom a few weeks later and it will also be slightly cloudy

maple marc
02-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Mac, you will need to refilter. If you draw off light, you will be forever trying to get to the proper brix without a boil, and if you boil you will bring out more sediment. The advice to draw off heavy is good--what I do. Thin to proper density. Saves a lot of effort later.

If I am going to bottle in glass, I will filter a second time just before bottling, as I am picky about a clear look in fancy bottles. If I am putting the syrup into plastic, no need. Just make sure to get the syrup to 180-190 before it goes in the bottle.

3% Solution
02-09-2009, 07:13 PM
I'm pretty much with maple flats, we draw off a little heavy.
It is a whole lot easier and quicker to lighten syrup than it is to bring it down more.
Then when we get it right, we filter it and then we can it.

Dave

Mac
02-09-2009, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the help. Because this is new to me, I was worried about not having good control (heat) when it gets close, as oppossed to a propane finisher, where I might have better control....to get it to the density.... Doesnt make sense to boil twice..
Thanks again....... gonna be high adventure
Mac

3% Solution
02-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Mac,
It's not going to turn that quick on you.
All of those horror stories about pans burning is folks not watching what they are doing.
Ok, so I'm sitting here knocking on wood!!!!!!!
I have drawn syrup off at 9 degrees above before, cause I wasn't watching, and it was ok.

Dave

Mac
02-09-2009, 07:33 PM
3%
Thanks... that was just what I needed to hear....and thats just what has been keeping me up nights! I plan to stay right on top of things, but was worried about things going south!...That puts me at ease...
Mac

3% Solution
02-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Mac,
Everyone has to learn.
What you need to do, is to really watch what you are doing and what is taking place when syrup comes off.
It's going to do the same 99.9% of the time.
Find a routine and stick with it.
Example is that when we draw syrup we push the sap into the flue pan hard so that the syrup pan will come back up to level.
Then we fire a course of wood completely across the fire, this helps keep the heat away from the bottom so as to give time to bring the level up.
By the time the level is up the heat is back full bore (about 3 minutes).
Now this is only part of what we do as a routine.
Remember, every evaporator fires and boils differently.
So, find your groove and go with it.

Dave

lpakiz
02-09-2009, 08:19 PM
I too have a 2X3 flat pan and boil in batches. Towards the end, things happen FAST!! You gotta really keep an eye on it. It helps to have a fair amount in the pan to finish so you don't have to run it too low in depth. Plus, ya better be standing by with some small shims to adjust the pan a bit--you will know which corner to raise by watching where the boil is the least vigorous.

3% Solution
02-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Mac,
Let me clear something up ........ that was 9 degrees above the boiling point of water.
So the syrup was 2 degrees above syrup.
Sorry if there was confusion.

Dave