PDA

View Full Version : Steam Hood Modification

mapleshoppe
02-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Hello everyone. I am a first time poster to this forum from Wisconsin. I appreciate all the great information available here. I have a 2*8 Waterloo/Small evaporator with a 2*6 raised flue pan - 2* 2 syrup pan. The 2*6 flue pan has a hood that sits directly on top of the flue pan with a 14" steam stack in the center. I want to hood the syrup pan as well. Would I encounter any problems by simply creating an open hood design (raised off the syrup pan) attached to and vented into the existing steam hood? I really don't want to chop another hole into my syrup room ceiling. I was hoping I could just attach the syrup pan hood to the existing hood and cut a hole into the end of the flue pan hood.

Haynes Forest Products
02-09-2009, 03:38 PM
That is what I did and it works perfect. I made a 3 sided hood that is mounted to flue pan hood that is hinged so I can flip it up out of the way for cleaning. We bent another peice that is the same size and shape as the main hood and rolled the edges for strength. The size of the hole into the main hood is about the same as the syrup pan hood. We left some of the side of both hoods just for rigidety. It will end up looking kind of like the old steam locamotives with the open end by the coal car. I even made flip down sides that extend down over the syrup pan sides during start up or windy days.
I think the fearless moderators need to start a new category called hoods and flue piping.

maple flats
02-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Based on the sizes you have that will work just fine as long as you give the joined sections enough venting into the flue hood. Your 14" steam stack is more than ample for a 2x8 total. The factory made ones don't have that much stack for a 2x8 evaporator. I have 2-10" for my 3x8 which covers the 3x6 flue pan tight and is elevated over the 2x2 syrup pan but I have seen units that work well my size that only have 1-10" steam stack.

mapleshoppe
02-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the reponses. What do you think should be the minimum vent area into the main hood in sq. inchs.? How high off the syrup pan should the small hood be placed? Just enough to remove the syrup pan easily or higher to view inside? Do I need a drip channel around the bottom of the small attached hood?

Haynes Forest Products
02-09-2009, 07:13 PM
I woulnt do the drip edge I get very little dripping and when the syrup pan hood gets hot it doesnt condensate much. As far as square inches it depends on the flue pan hood and how its configured. Remember if your going to clean the pans in place you want to move the hood up or off. you dont want it so low and not beable to remove it quickly. I would cut the opening 1" smaller all the way around the shape of the syrup pan hood. If your hood is 22" W X 6" H then make the opening 20" W X 4" H. The natural draw of the steam in the hood will pull the little steam you get from your syrup pan.

brookledge
02-09-2009, 08:34 PM
The only problem might be if you are using a pre heater under the hood of the flue pan. Most preheaters get the most heat transfer by putting a damper in the stack and if it is closed the steam from the hood that is suspended over the syrup pan will not go up the stack
Otherwise give it a try, the worst that can happen is you need to put another stack up at a later time
Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-09-2009, 09:06 PM
I have one steam stack for my flue pan and syrup pan hood and I overcome the problem Keith is referring to by running a stack from the syrup pan section of the hood into the 10" stack I have on my 2x8 and the stack from the syrup pan goes into the hood above the damper, so I don't have any problems with it affecting damper.

Haynes Forest Products
02-14-2009, 07:04 PM
tessiersfarm: read on