View Full Version : my $35 tubing tool

TapME
02-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Made this last night in the shop.
1/4 x1'' x5' steel
2 6$ vise grips
couple of bolts
and a friend that welds

it's not a cadillac but it does the job. Next is a one handed tool.

Haynes Forest Products
02-09-2009, 11:48 AM
I see you got fancy and reamed out the barb fitting side very sneaky were watching you.

softmaple
02-09-2009, 11:51 AM
sweet, my father and i build one this fall like that. it works great

ennismaple
02-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Looks good. Let us know how it works. The only possible problem I see is you won't be able to use it against a tree - only beside it.

Grade "A"
02-09-2009, 06:07 PM
I made one like that last year and i love it. I didn't think to drill out 1/2 the treads for the fittings, great idea.

maple flats
02-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Looks good. On my store bought (looks home made by an apprentice first day on the job) 2 hand tool I have I removed one pivot bolt and put in a pin with a hairpin cotter (or cotter pin). Every once in a while I find it easier to remove one pin to get into a tight or awkward spot, slip the pin in and use tool then remove it and put it back together as it was. This is rare but I used that a few times over the years on end ring fittings that already had tension on them and could not get enough space to get tool in place to use it otherwise.

super sappy
02-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Tap -me that tool will save you lots of agrivation in the woods.Looks like the one I gave to spec farm. I have a tip for you if you want it to last and you know where to find me after 8:00 pm - good job ss

Haynes Forest Products
02-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Its called paint , oil and a rope tied to your neck!

Clan Delaney
02-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Looks good. Let us know how it works. The only possible problem I see is you won't be able to use it against a tree - only beside it.

He could use it next to a tree, by coming at the line from the top or bottom instead of the side. Awkward, but do-able?

I see you went with the padded handles package. No skimping on comfort, I see!

TapME
02-09-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks guys, this is the first one. Already have ideas to improve it, as most good guys would do I bought enough to make three. I will take a pic of the bottom side for those that want to see the rack and pinion.

Jazzman
02-09-2009, 07:31 PM
I just made these tools recently. The two-handed tool cost about $40 and the one-handed tool was approx. $20.

Fred

brookledge
02-09-2009, 07:42 PM
You will want to redesign to allow the tool to be used right tight to the tree. The one you built will work good away from the tree as others have said. But the real need for a tool is when a tee breaks and the existing line needs to be fixed in place.
When it comes down to it, if you can weld and have time anyone can make a tool just like a commercial one.
Tap Me, borrow one from someone that has a commercial one and then go to it welding. You will like having one with the jaws out in front.
Keep up the good work it is nice to see alot of making our own tools to save money. I made my own filter press around 15 years ago and it is still going strong
Keith

TapME
02-09-2009, 09:05 PM
nice jazzman, they look great. I will make a one handed like yours four sure