PDA

View Full Version : Union County

Turtlecreek
02-08-2009, 09:56 PM
I think I'm going to wait. Last year I tapped on Presidents day then I froze up for a week or two. I think I'm the only one down here so there isn't a whole lot of local support, I kinda fly by the seat of my pants.

Maplewalnut
02-09-2009, 06:59 AM
Turtlecreek- seems like alot of us in Pa people do the same. Not a concentration of sugarmakers other than Nw corner of the state and Tioga/Bradford counties anywhere. Go for it and good luck, whats the worse that can happen? Feel free to give me a shout if your ever in the Poconos

Turtlecreek
02-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Maplewalnut,

Where are you in the poconos. I grew up in Reeders, and Snydersville before I moved to Lewisburg. I caught te bug when I was young and went to the conservation district sugar shack in Marshals creek.

Turtlecreek
02-09-2009, 07:01 PM
I also may be in the market for a 2x4 pan in the near future maybe at the end of the season or sooner, if anyone has a lead on one that would be great. I'm in year 3 of the addiction and still working on the turkey fryer. I'd like to get out of the dark ages!

Maplewalnut
02-10-2009, 07:32 AM
Just up the mountain from Reeders in Canadensis. One of the only unspoiled parts of the Poconos left!

Turtlecreek
02-11-2009, 05:21 PM
I'm in I tapped one tree last night and got a quarter bucket. I put the rest out just now and they were running right away. I wanted to get past the 60 degree day today to allow my sap to save better.
I should have the sink evaporator aka evaprosink fired this weekend. I just have to get some propane and set up the makeshift arch.

Turtlecreek
02-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Fired up today!! I made 1.5 quarts of medium amber, out of about 10 gallons of sap. Being the only guy in the county I guess I'm the bigest producer so far!!

Turtlecreek
02-20-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm making sap pops the size of buckets. I think I'll be in full production next week, thew weather looks great!

Turtlecreek
02-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Sap is running excelent here right now! Ive been boiling all day and looks loke I'll be up late tonight until I get it all bottled up. I started to evaporate some off then my son and I went up to the bush and collected sap. When we put the sap into the tank we had just as much as before I started boiling.

The big sap is here yahoo!!!!!!!!!!!

Turtlecreek
03-04-2009, 10:23 PM
I'm still frozen maybe a run will come out of this sometime soon.

My wife and I had a Baby girl today so the longer it stays frozen the better for right now anyway.

Thompson's Tree Farm
03-05-2009, 03:18 AM
Congrats to the growing family. In a few years, you will be able to hold tapping/birthday parties:)