PDA

View Full Version : Liquid storage tanks

shawk
02-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Just wondering what the best source(price) for poly storage tanks that people have found. I am looking in the 100-200 gallon range as I need to move sap from my sugarbush to where evaporate it.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
02-08-2009, 08:39 PM
best i found is 100 gal sq tank from t.s.c. 2yrs ago was $149.00 if i remember right

RICH

KenWP
02-08-2009, 09:01 PM
I was wondering if those big fruit juice containers that they sell are any good for syrup. They have a good valve it looks like at the bottom. They sell for around a 100 bucks in places here.

markct
02-08-2009, 09:02 PM
i bought a 210 gallon pickup tank from tractor supply for 195 bucks on sale, i think they were 225 normal price which still is pretty reasonable i thought, altho i think next year i may upgrade to a 300 gallon tank since i have ended up with more taps than i planned on

brookledge
02-08-2009, 09:10 PM
If you can find a used cage tank in your area that had food grade products. They hold around around 275 gal. You should find them for around $75 give or take.
Keith

Mackdaddy
02-10-2009, 09:45 PM
Shawk,

Look up Norwesco.com and they will give you a list of their dealers. I just bought a smaller one from them and it was significantly cheaper than T.S.C or anyone online.

tuckermtn
02-11-2009, 05:04 AM
believe it or not, the best price I found on a new 425 pick-up tank was at - ahem - Bascoms-

jcb
02-11-2009, 05:32 AM
I found this web site while looking for tanks I did not buy from them but the prices seem good and I think they may have a wharehouse in Ohio. http://www.plastic-mart.com/

Also check ebay

sapman
02-11-2009, 07:05 PM
I just bought a 12 gallon fuel tank from Plastic-Mart for my vacuum pump. They had the best price on that kind of thing, and were great to deal with.

Tim

Haynes Forest Products
02-11-2009, 11:02 PM
What kind of price did you get. I got one a few years ago at a small engine supply house and it came with the fuel line primer bulb and quick connects for about $35.00

sapman
02-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Not that good a price, I guess! I think it was close to $90 shipped, but that was the best I found looking online. I didn't look that long. Time is of the essence!

Tim

Smitty
02-12-2009, 07:44 PM
I just bought a new 425 gal tank from plastic-mart.com, best price out there. Almost $300 cheaper than T S C. They have hundreds of warehouse, one of them is Norwesco. I only live 40 minutes from one of their warehouses, did not have to pay the shipping charges, just went and picked it up.

MapleME
02-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Just a follow up to this thread-maybe you can help me. I picked up a 65 gallon Poly tank for the back of my truck- I will use this for daily collection.

It has a 3/4" threaded opening at the bottom. My goal is to get a valve on the bottom with 6 feet of hose so I can back the truck up to the storage tank and empty it. So, I letft TSC with three things:
Plastic adapter which has 3/4 inch male to go into bottom of tank, and the other side also has 3/4 male threaded which I tried to thread the brass gate valve on to.
I also bought, for the business end of the gate valve another 3/4 inch male threaded on one side, which had a slip on connection for 1"tubing on the other.

I tried guys, for the life of me, to get the two plastic adapters to screw in properly to the brass valve. They just cross-threaded and cross-threaded leaving me with leaks.

I guess my question is- I have the correct hardware (in theory) but do I need to go brass to brass and cut out the plastic threaded parts? Do they not mate to brass well?

sorry for the long winded question- I tired to paint a good picture of what was going on, but heck Im no artist!

Josh MapleMe

3rdgen.maple
02-14-2009, 10:12 PM
Funny you posted this question. I was replumbing the holding tank for a bigger pipe. I bought the plastic fittings and brass valve at TSC two male adaptors one going into the valve and one with the pipe fitting end coming out. I the one on the input side threaded fine the one with the pipe fitting just kept getting cross threaded everytime. I took it all back sales guy could not figure it out either. In the milk tank supply section they had white plastic fittings that worked perfect so made the exchange and it all went together fine. Checked for leaks and Im good to go.

ronr
02-14-2009, 10:14 PM
In theory it should all go together in practice I have had trouble with starting the plastic fittings into metal fittings, it can be a real problem at times. After they have started cross threaded it makes it that much worse as the metal almost always cuts new threads over the original. I don't know what the problem is; I think the plastic gets molded off size a bit.

Lowes has the brass hose barb to npt adapters, but they are a little pricey.

Haynes Forest Products
02-14-2009, 11:00 PM
Doing sprinkler systems your always doing PVC barb fittings and close nipples and its like a severe case of ADD. I have had coworkers come over and ask what the heck is the problem and I screaming at a bag of fittings because their all against me. MapleMe its not you its the metal fitting plastic doesnt like them. I learned not to put teflon tape on till after I get them started. I think its because one is cut with a tap and the other is molded.

3rdgen.maple
02-14-2009, 11:07 PM
Haynes that makes alot of sense guy at TSC did say that the white plastic ones they had the threads were not molded that indeed they were cut with a die. That would indeed explain the problems.

MapleME
02-15-2009, 10:38 AM
ahhh thanks for this. Its been driving me crazy.

I think I just may head to the HD or Lowes- see if I can pick everything up in Brass, that way the only metal to plastic connection is the actual tank.

I think what you guys describe was happening to me exactly. I could screw the two together, but they were so uneven and leaky every time I took it off, used the teflon tape and re tried, it just did the same thing.

I appreciate the help gang. Nice to know im not alone in this issue!
MapleME

MapleME
02-16-2009, 02:43 PM
Just wanted to thank you and post a follow up. Took your advice- went for brass-to-brass on everything except the nipple coming off the tank. That did not cross thread after a helluva wrapping of teflon tape, so Im good to go. Should be a good and simple (i.e. only a few things can go wrong!) system.

Thanks again.
Josh

maple flats
02-16-2009, 04:54 PM
I just picked up a 550 vertical tank for $335 today. I ordered it thru National Tank Outlet (NTO) and drove to Norwesco factory (in Owego, NY) today and picked it up. Freight was going to be about $250 so I drove there. In Ohio you might be close enough to the Plastics mart. I bought 2 tanks, the 550 vert and a 165 horiz leg tank. That tank was shipped from Ohio, both were bought thru NTO. The 165 was $250 + 120 frt. That tank is for my 1500 pu haul tank.