PDA

View Full Version : Firewood Processor

rob1640
02-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Have anyone ever used one of the shear blade firewood processors? Do they work well? Does the shear blade stay sharp?

Rob

tapper
02-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Some freinds of mine had a chomper processor a few years ago. I looked into buying one and decided against it but if I were to buy one I think it would be a chomper.
I hired my freinds the 1st year they had it. We cut split and stacked 8 full cord in 5 hours. It handled up to a 14" dia. log and simply using it properly kept the cutter sharp unlike a chainsaw that needs sharpened every hour.

stevepipkin
02-12-2009, 11:34 PM
check out the video

http://www.chomper.net/video.html

brookledge
02-13-2009, 10:02 PM
That looks cool. Whats one like that cost?
Keith

skinny78
02-14-2009, 12:29 AM
That's a $38,800 80hp log chomping machine. They also make two smaller models 60hp $33,200 and 18hp $17,000. Expensive but very impressive! Check out the video.

brookledge
02-14-2009, 06:50 AM
Just the fact that they claim you never need to sharpen it makes it nice. The processors that cut with a hyd. saw can't tell where there might be clumps of dirt etc. Most times when you are cutting wood by hand you aviod dirt but a processor that is auto feed can't avoid dirt. So if I where looking to buy one I sure want one like that on in the video. I do wonder what would happen if it encounters a tree that has grown around a chunk of steel
Keith

gmcooper
02-15-2009, 09:31 PM
I was in the woods today thinking as I looked over the trees that need to be thinned, That processor would look good at the edge of the woods cutting and splitting next years wood as it is hauled out of the woods tree lenght!
All I need to do is find the $38,000! Where did I bury that mason jar????

All joking aside I am very impressed with how that machine works! Anyone know where to rent one?
Mark

michiganfarmer
03-16-2009, 12:31 PM
a few producers who live near each other could go in together, buy, and share one.

michiganfarmer
03-16-2009, 12:45 PM
yanno, if they could design that thing to run off the PTO of a tractor, that would knock a few thousand dollars off the cost because you wouldnt have to pay for the engine

michelle32
03-16-2009, 01:48 PM
They do make one to go on a tractor. I'll see if I can find the name of the company. I think it's FARMI but i'll check it out tonite and get back with the name. Keith

tuckermtn
03-16-2009, 02:06 PM
there are several firewood processors that run off of a tractor PTO.

timberwolf makes one

hakki pike makes several also

japa - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfnavISaP9c

lots of choices...

michelle32
03-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Just going to get back to you with Timber wolf. but somebody beat me to it. I have a timber wolf log splitter. We spend more time working on it then splitting wood. I would stay away from anything timber wolf. Super split makes a very nice one. Just remember that you also need a tractor to get the los to these things. They do have cable winches to pull from a pile and this sounds good. But how many times do you won't to drag it in the dirt and mud. Not to good for the saw rig.

tuckermtn
03-17-2009, 12:43 AM
yes- my mentioning of timberwolf is not in anyway an endorsment...we also spent a lot of time working on my brothers 3pt hitch timberwolf...