PDA

View Full Version : handling 5/16

Acer
02-08-2009, 05:30 PM
So how do you handle 5/16 when running laterals?

Seems an uncoiler at the main would be good, then you just take one end and go. Dunno what that uncoiler would look like though.

Dean

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Acer,
They have those uncoilers and they are really convenient but as most all maple equipment, pretty pricey. If you are putting up a lot they are probably worth it in time saved. If you are stringing a few rolls/year, not such a good idea. If you walk backwards with a roll and allow a few coils to come off the roll and then turn the roll around by sliding it onto the other arm and allow a few coils to come off the other end of the roll, you can keep the "telephone cord" effect to a minimum. Of course the walking backwards in snow on a slope has its drawbacks too.

maplehound
02-08-2009, 06:23 PM
I often use a round grill grate (for a charcoal grill) that I have added an upside down round wire bowl for the center part. Then jsut add a paint can hook to the center of the wie bowl. The tubing should then lay over the wire bowl and on the grill grate. easily hung on the mainline and most paint pail hooks have a swivel in them, that let the whole thing unwind. Only drwa back I have had is that not all my main line is that high off the ground and sometimes the tubing gets a lash in it and wraps around the hook.
I hope this make sense!!!!!

dano2840
02-08-2009, 06:42 PM
i figured out a neet little trick, you put your arm threw the coil, so the line is coming off in the direction away from your bodie, then when the little twist comes off close your fingers on the coil and rotate your arm, which turns the whole coil, unspooling it, and you arent left with those waves in your line nice tight and straight, its a bit of strain on your arm with a full coil, but it gets easyer as you go on,

Homestead Maple
02-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Glenn Good rich teaches that once you make your connection at the first tree, you start walking toward the next tree and uncoil as you go 4 coils, after the fourth coil, turn the roll of tubing 180 degrees to the left and do four more coils continuing to the next tree. Once you reach the forth coil, rotate the roll back to the right 180 degrees and do 4 more coils. It's just alternating the roll of tubing left and right as you uncoil 4 coils at a time in each direction. I've probably confused this but I have used this method for 10 years and it works great.

ennismaple
02-08-2009, 09:33 PM
If you're putting up any amount of tubing at all you should make, buy or borrow a spinner - it's almost as valuable as a 2-handed tubing tool. If my mainline is high enough I clip it on the steel and start walking. If the steel is too low I keep a 15' piece of rope in the middle of the spinner to tie between 2 trees to hang the spinner. The tubing comes off perfectly straight and it's way faster than looping it over your arms - which I've also done for many dozens of rolls of tube.

tapper
02-09-2009, 05:39 AM
This is my 1st season hanging tubing.
I took 2 hours before I even opend the 1st roll of tubing and made a spinner. It was fun to build and even more fun to use.
I know it saved me at least 2 hours in the woods and I hung only 7 rolls.

mapleack
02-09-2009, 07:19 AM
I built a spinner to hang on the mainline and love it. Didn't take too long and cost a couple bucks. Tubing comes off straight, no "telephone cording" no hassles.

Maplewalnut
02-09-2009, 08:21 AM
I never had a problem with the 5/16 unrolling by hand. Attach to your top tree and start heading towards your next tap so on and so forth. Now a roll of black mainline, thats another story and I will be making something to help unroll the neatly next time.

Amber Gold
02-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Maplewalnut, TSC makes a barb wire unroller, I think called a roll-a-bob, that works pretty slick unrolling mainline. I tried using it on 5/16, but all it does is kink it.

ctjim
02-10-2009, 05:55 PM
i have a reel that i acquired from work. its used to hold a 750 ft roll of telephone service drop wire, i had to make a slight modification to get the whole roll of 5/16 tubing on it but i got it to work and it works perfect. all i have to do is loosen the tension on the reel and start walking and it rolls out smooth and no big mess. the hard part is going in between trees but i can pull the tubing around the trees, you just need to be a bit careful, so you don't kink the tubing. i would imagine a garden hose reel might be able to work as well. heres a link to what i have
http://www.jdvproducts.com/downloads/pr141.pdf

maple flats
02-10-2009, 08:00 PM
I made an unspooler which works good. I made the bottom a 24" circle of 3/8 plywood i had around. I got 4 extra long bolts (16") or threaded rod, 1/4" is good and I put a piece of 1/2" pvc pipe over each. I drilled 4 holes in a 6' circular pattern centered in the ply base. The bolts and pipe threaded thru these and then i made a top of the same plywood that was 8" diameter with a hole drilled in the center and also the 6" pattern. Thru the denter I installed a hook bolt with double nuts (or lock nuts would work) and double flat washers, this is what I hang it by. The nuts (lock or double) keep the mounting loose to spin freely. I sometimes but rarely have the 5/16 jump over the top plywood and have to re arrange it. Some time I am going to make some kind of larger top that will clamp on and off to prevent this but it is seldom a problem. All in all it took me about a half hour to make it and about $6-7 as I had the plywood already. Works very well over 99% of the time.

220 maple
02-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Poor Mans Unspooler
Take a feed sack, new style not burlap, put roll of tubing in sack then tie it closed, I use a wire tie, lay on ground and cut a small hole in the sack in the center of the roll, hole needs to be big enough so you can get your hand inside to cut the straps on the roll, then pull the center end of the roll thru the hole, presto you have a modern tubing uncoiller, I need to post pictures of this modern invention also.

Maple/Cherry
02-14-2009, 08:25 PM
I built a tapping sled out of a old pair of kids skis. It's about 3' side and raised up about 6" above the skis. I have a plywood deck on it. On the front I have an old milk crate attached for tools and on the back I have a 3' dia. disk with a 2 1/2 gal pail mounted in the center with a bolt thru the center that allows the disk and pail to rotate. Put your roll of 5/16 around the pail and supplies in the pail. The 5/16 unrolls pretty well and the pail keeps it from kinking. Take the sled along the mail line and pull the 5/16 to your farthest tree. Attach and walk back the the main line, pull tight attach and move to the next lateral. I don't have to carry the rolls of 5/16 and I have all my tools and supplys with me. as a bonus if it's down hill back to where you start you can ride the sled back. Know if I could tame the main lines.

Acer
02-15-2009, 06:30 AM
Poor Mans Unspooler
Take a feed sack, new style not burlap, put roll of tubing in sack then tie it closed, I use a wire tie, lay on ground and cut a small hole in the sack in the center of the roll, hole needs to be big enough so you can get your hand inside to cut the straps on the roll, then pull the center end of the roll thru the hole, presto you have a modern tubing uncoiller, I need to post pictures of this modern invention also.

How is the twisting with this method?

D

Four Saps
02-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Is there a rule of thumb on how many taps on 5/16 line? What size main line should be used with 250 taps?

gator330
02-15-2009, 12:11 PM
four saps

I just learned this last week, 35 taps per 500 foot roll of 5/16 is a good average. I'm at two rolls this year and have 67 taps on them. As far as main line us 3/4 or larger if you ever go to vaccum.

gator330
02-15-2009, 12:27 PM
If your asking how many per lateral line they say 5-10 per line. Some go up to 35 and have a 500-700 feet run of tube. With out any trouble all on gravity.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-15-2009, 03:35 PM
As far as rule of thumb on how many taps on 5/16, that depends on who you ask. Some say 5 to 7, others say 10 to 15, while others say up to 20 and I have good luck with 45 on it and the lateral line being 700' long. Actually in this set, I have several branch lines feeing into the lateral line and it acts as a mainline. Do what works best for you, but with vacuum, you will probably do best if you stay with 10 or less so you get maximum vacuum to the taphole.

As far as 250 taps on mainline, if you have some slope and don't ever intend to use vaccum, then 1/2" is fine. I have aprox 170 on a 1/2" mainline and running full bore, it probably fills 20% or less of the line maximum, and in reality probably way below 20%. If you are contemplating vacuum or possible adding of more taps, go with 3/4" or be safe up front and go with 3/4".