PDA

View Full Version : Help... Pump Problems

Maplewalnut
02-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Test ran the sp-22 twice before today for an hour each time and it held 20 inches no problem as it did for the first two hours of use this morning pulling sap. Just went to check it again and had to shut it down. Will not get more than 14 inches.
The motor seems to be really laboring and when I shut the ball valve downstream of the regulator it almost shuts the motor down it slows so much. When I manually depress the spring regulator the pulleys speed up like but no increase in vacuum. A lot of pulley dust on the motor, who knows how old they are. Regulator will not adjust vacuum up or down, seems to only want to run at 14inches. The motor is definitely slowed since this morning.

Any thoughts

mountainvan
02-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Is the pump getting enough oil?

Maplewalnut
02-07-2009, 05:50 PM
I changed it out last week and added 2.5 quarts back in. Seemed to be registering about 3/4 of an inch up site tube, so I thought I was good... how else would I tell? Can you add too much oil? Maybe I'll add another quart?

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
02-07-2009, 09:21 PM
should be 3/4 inch in the site glass when its shut off

RICH

lpakiz
02-07-2009, 10:59 PM
On a vacuum related note, I was told this weekend that my SP-11 Surge could be run at maximum vacuum. Does this sound OK? Worried that I may have some of the same problems with the longevity of the pump. I have a regulator but if "max" vacuum is OK, why would I need it? Maplewalnut, would it be possible that the "Pulley dust" is the result of a slipping belt or one of the pulleys loose on their shaft??

Maplewalnut
02-08-2009, 12:09 AM
lpakiz...thats what I am wondering about the belt(s) but wanted to here from the experts. I am concerned that it almost shuts down when I close the valve out to the bush yet doesn't build vacuum. I was holding pressure perfectly in that same set up this morning. The pulleys are tight but belts may be looser. How big a job and where do you even find belts for these units?

Keep the questions/suggestions coming

PATheron
02-08-2009, 01:38 AM
Don't mess with the oil level. Make sure that when it's off and level you have about 1/2 inch up the site tube.

Check the belts and make sure they are tight enough.

I've run them before with only one belt so you don't have to even have two belts or make them super tight.

Why are you turning off the valve to the bush?

You may have had something in the woods that was froze up, and now that things are thawing out your lines are clearing out and causing more leaks.

Is the pump head super hot?

This is matt by the way.

Parker
02-08-2009, 04:56 AM
If you close the valve going into the woods (dead head) and the moter-pump slow down then the pump is building vacuum-make sure your vacuum gauge is working correctly at that point,,,like Matt said-you only need 1 belt really,,as for the dust ,make sure the pump pulley is not wobling on the on the shaft and the woodruf key is not about to fall out,,I also agree that it sounds like you have a big leak in the woods,,,and I think you might have a weak moter on the pump,,,is the moter getting really hot? Is the moter gas or elec.? Is the pump head getting really hot? THe belt should be availabel at a auto parts store like sanals,,should be a "B" or "C" series,,pretty standard,,,lenghts will varry depending on application
As for running max vac. I think that depends on the situation,,,lots of variabels,,,I would ALWAYS have a regulator,,the 22's and 11's get pretty hot when they are pulling 22" and its 50 deg out,,IMNO
Good luck

Maplewalnut
02-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Ok, here is the update. Definitely no leaks. I have 15 at the pump, 15 at the releaser (with manlines closed) and 15 at the farthest point of mainline with system fully open. Very tight

Oil level in fine.

Belts are producing alot of dust, to the extent that the motor is covered in black dust. Belts are also sqeaking now at lower rpm. When I depress the regulator, pump speed increases and squeaking goes away but vacuum does not increase past 15

Pump pulleys seem tighter no wobble. However if I put the slightest pressure on the belt while running it will stop the pulleys.

Checked vacuum gauge at pump and a second one read the same

Wondering if the regulator is bad??? As much as I adjust it I just can't produce more than 15inches up or down. Closing the valve to the bush does not increase vacuum but does almost stop motor

Pump head is warm to the touch but was 'hotter' yesterday when running at 20inches (obviously)

maplesyrupstove
02-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Are your pulleys rusty, the rust will wear your belts out. Darrell

lpakiz
02-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Maplewalnut,
How about the motor pully? Is it tight to the motor shaft? If you depress the belts, you not only tighten them but also add a bit more drag. Is this causing the whole apparatus to stop rotating? That might indicate that the pully is not turning with the motor shaft.
Do you know how to check the amperage draw of the motor with an amp-meter or know of a friend who could do it? It would be interesting to know if the motor is pulling the correct amperage or is it drawing excessive amps. Full load amps should be on a name plate on the motor. Just wondering if you have a motor problem--something as simple as a bearing out.. Take off the belt and see if the motor runs quietly.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
02-08-2009, 02:28 PM
sounds like the belt is slipping, my sp 11 acted similar. belt didnt seem real loose but when i changed it things ran much better $9.50 at the tractor dealer {B- belt}

RICH

Maplewalnut
02-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Ogden sugarbush is the winner. After I saw all the belt dust after an hour run today and then heard the squeaking the belt became my focus. Surely didn't look loose but after I tightened it up it now purrs like a kitten and I have 20inches on the pump and in the bush.

Thanks to all for the comments and questions, if nothing else it was a great exercise to go through since my motor/pump knowledge is limited but increasing everyday.

Thanks also for the tips on where to get extra belts, there will be a spare on the shelf tomorrow.

Case closed

Haynes Forest Products
02-08-2009, 06:43 PM
I had a snow blower that had belt problems and as other posts have eluded to get a good belt. I learned the hard way that all belts dont have the same HP rating and just because it fits doesnt mean its the right one. dont buy a belt that is wraped with fabric like the washing machine kind. A proper fitting belt should not set down in the pully. The belt should be even with the top of the pulley grove. A good pulley is Iron and not cheap aluminum off a blower from a furnace

brookledge
02-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Another thing you can do is spray belt conditioner on the belts when they are running. It helps prevent slippage and keep the rubber from cracking.
You can get it at a auto supply
Keith