PDA

View Full Version : Tapped In Burlington...

Mark Wengert
02-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Today I set out on a new adventure! This is our first year of making syrup. My wife and I have been saving up for this for four years. We bought a used 2x6 leader 4 years ago and finally put up a 12 x 20 sugar shack. We have a 500 gal bulk tank for storage. Today my dad and I put out 110 buckets mostly on my father in laws land. I think that will be plenty for a first timer... If it runs good, all road side trees, there should be plenty to do. Could not wait after seeing warm temps for this upcoming week. So far we have the only buckets out around town. Well, looking forward to chatting with everyone during the season. Best of luck to all.....

Mark, Paula, and Riley Wengert
Burlington Flats

Fred Henderson
02-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Good luck in your first year doing syrup. It is definately a learn process. Just what is Burlington Flats, like near the name of a well reconized city etc?

Brian Ryther
02-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Mark,
You were not the only one tapping in the Butternut Valley. We put in over 400 today, and hope to do another 600 on Sunday. We are 3 miles south of Garrattsville on Myers Mills road, where are you?

Mark Wengert
02-08-2009, 05:42 AM
we are on st. 51 two houses down from the memorial monument. Burlington is a small town of only about 600+/- voters. We have made syrup on our wood stove in the basement but that is slow and not much hands on. Just got up at 6:00 and saw that it was still 40 out. Have to check a few buckets and see if anything happened yet. well, time to eat and back to the sugar house to finish getting ready....

Fred Henderson
02-08-2009, 06:02 AM
Why didn't you just say near Coppertown, everyone knows where that is. I am 20 miles from the Canadain border.