PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Tank Foam

Brian Ryther
02-07-2009, 10:46 AM
I ran my liquid ring vac pump for several hrs this morning while I went looking for leaks. When I returned I found the tank overflowing with foam. I have a 50/50 mix of green antifreez and water. What is going on? What can I do?
Brian

maplecrest
02-07-2009, 11:11 AM
brian, the return line has to be under the liquid in the tank. cannot splash back into tank. that is what causes the foam. i learned that the hard way myself. making a foamy mess. then will stay as a liquid

gmcooper
02-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Also the more leaks in a system the more air gets sent back into the tank creating more foam. Had a releaser stick partially open last year. Over flowed the tank with foam even with a filter in the vent.

PATheron
02-08-2009, 08:40 AM
Brian-

Also, I think you have a bit too much antifreeze in the tank. You don't need that much 50/50. Think about it this way, if it was all water it wouldn't foam at all. So the more antifreeze in there the more potential for foam.

Just like if you look at it like soap, one drop in a bucket and agitate, you'd get a little suds. 50/50 and agitate and you'll get lots of suds.

If you are tapping under vacuum or you have some leaks out there that will greatly inpact the agitation you will get through the pump. Like if you ever have a mainline come off or something you will get a huge rush of air into the system and blast into the tank and get lots of foam.

The more leaks you have the more air you are getting into the tank and more agitation.

gmcooper
02-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Not sure about location of New Lisbon, NY but here in ME I need at least close to 50/50 mix. We have been -20 to -25 below several mornings here this past month and -10 below during sap season is not uncommon for us.