PDA

View Full Version : Too soon in NE OH??

Jeffery G.
02-05-2009, 03:27 PM
The 10 day forecast for Ashtabula county is showing above freezing temps for 5 or 6 days starting this coming Saturday. I am itching to start tapping tomorrow afternoon.
Am I jumping the gun? What do you guys think?

jason grossman
02-05-2009, 05:10 PM
jeff, i don,t know about anyone else but i will not be tapping until after the 15th. i was in the woods today and it was cold and still 20" on snow so I i think this little melt will put us in good shape for after the 15th. my 2 cents.

Jeffery G.
02-05-2009, 05:45 PM
The snow on the ground should not bother me too much. I am only tapping 100 this year. I thought that next week's warm up might get things flowing, and I could get a head start. I'll have to head out to the woods tomorrow, and see if I can make it through on the quad. You may be right, about the deep snow, although last saturday's warm spell knocked it down a bit.

maplehound
02-05-2009, 08:24 PM
This warm up will be a good opertunity to finish setting things up in the woods and maybe doing a flush on the lines. i will wait till the next warm spell to tap my trees

fred
02-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Be Patient.this Is The Coldest Winter In A Long Time. Let The Trees Thaw. Good Times Are A Comin.we Usually Wait Until The 15th To The 20th And Your More North Than Me

Jeffery G.
02-05-2009, 08:33 PM
You guys are probably right, there's no sense in jumping the gun, and having the holes dry up. I'll plan on the 15th or 16th, depending on the weather then. It will give me some time to get my pre-heater built, and a few more things tweaked and ready.

jason grossman
02-06-2009, 06:35 AM
jeff i always tend to be on the late side of tapping, besides i will be all next week installing in canton, just ahead of the tapper!! they will be ready to go but i will wait. i usually also plan on boiling well into april, so weather permitting i'll hopefuly get 8 weeks.

Toblerone
02-06-2009, 11:18 AM
I'm in the same boat. Looks like the forecast says above freezing.. 40s and 50s and rain for the next week. I'm itchin to catch this first run, but don't want to get it just to have things sitting in 50 degree weather growing funk. I think I'll probably wait.