PDA

View Full Version : Painting sap tanks?

dano2840
02-05-2009, 09:17 AM
so whats the deal with painting sap tanks that are starting to rust, the tank thats going to come with my evap, has been painted with aluminum paint i think, what type of paint are you supposed to use and is there such a thing as food grade paint?

DS Maple
02-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Bascoms sells some kind of "food grade" coating. I'm not sure if paint is the right word, but it comes in a can and is used on tanks. I actually think that their tanks are all lined with it. If I remember though, it was rather expensive. Hobart (the food machine company) also sells what they call food grade paint in spray cans. I've been told that there's no such thing as food grade spray paint, but if Hobart says it is, then I'll take their word for it.

jason grossman
02-05-2009, 11:57 AM
dano, i'll give you some advice here, in ohio we have alot of testing for lead and other things. it is a big deal around here, painting anything is a no no!! there is no food grade paint on the market today acceptable in our area. there is a paint that beekeepers use and others, however these products are of a neutral ph and sap and syrup are acidic!!! that is why galvanized storage tanks and buckets are not good!! the sap actually eats the coating off of them. it will also eat at the paint! and who knows exactlly whats in that paint!! if you have too do it don't let sap sit in it for long. but plan on getting poly tanks or even better stainless when the money is available. just remember it's a food product and you are resposible for what is in it!!

dano2840
02-06-2009, 10:37 AM
the sap wont sit in these tanks for more than 8 hrs, if that, it will be collected at about 2:45 when it runs, i think i will paint it with the food grade paint from bascoms and call er good for this year