PDA

View Full Version : SS and Canada

Haynes Forest Products
02-05-2009, 12:11 AM
What is with Canada and used equipment. In cleaning out my storage and selling it on Ebay. SS pots, tanks and heat exchanger and all the bidders are from Canada asking if ill please sell to them. I dont like dealing with customs so I only sell in the US. They are all differant bidders and begging me to sell and ship to them. I read on another thread about patching a sink bottom with SS and they coulnt find any there. Whats the deal. Plus whats with the postal codes. I said yes after 4 emails of begging

WF MASON
02-05-2009, 04:01 AM
When gas was $4.50 a gallon , stainless scrap was at .80 cents lb. , now we've stopped buying tickle me elmo from china, gas is $2. bucks and I'm sure stainless scrap is back down to .15 a lb., as for Canada , they have pleanty of everything real cheap I thought.

timbers
02-05-2009, 07:11 AM
"Whats with Canada" how about lots of oil reserves,Celion Dion(no forget that we dont like her either)supermodels, hockey, free health care, high taxes, and 90% of the world maple syrup production... Scrap ss is at .12 per pound and there is tons of ss to buy.. Do you ship thru the post office. In Canada its much easier to ship thru them than ups out of country.. Ian

Dave Y
02-05-2009, 08:06 AM
Ian,
You forgot Shania Twang!

KenWP
02-05-2009, 08:27 AM
Okay lets see now. If you check out Ebay in Canada there is not a thing listed for SS pots and those steamer trays that are suggested are almost impossible to find. I have checked several resturant supply places here in Quebec and there is nothing. I found one at Atkisions maple in Ontario and they want 85 bucks for it. As to scrap SS one would have to find somebody that had it. I find in Quebec that there just is not the supply that other provinces have.

Haynes Forest Products
02-05-2009, 09:29 AM
KenWP: What do you mean Ebay in Canada? isnt it all the same? When I look under Stainless pans on Ebay I see lots of steam trays exspensive but I find them. Im 10 miles from a BIG resturant supply and I mean big. They have every conceivable size and shape and the price seams good. They have 180 Quart stock pots aluminum there huge. They have steam trays that are about 6"x24" and standard depth. When I saw all the shapes and sizes I saw a small channeled hobby evap is in the works Just for ****s and giggles. They have a Lasagna pan that about 24x24 is SS with handles and 4" deep and is 1/8 thick couple dividers........YeeHa

I will get some pics and try and post..If anyone needs any the phone number is Denver Cresco 303 3433333 Ken if you find what you need and they wont ship let me know.

ennismaple
02-05-2009, 12:06 PM
I buy stuff from the US on eBay all the time. The easiest way is send it USPS - there's almost never any duty at the border.

...and we've got postal codes (6 digits, alternating letters and numbers) instead of zip codes.

Haynes Forest Products
02-05-2009, 01:22 PM
The only reason that I stipulate US only is selling some Items brings out the scammers big time. Just sold Item on monday and the winner sent a frantic email with instructions from scammer saying they are the seller and send western union wire transfer to spain their quick. Sending to Canada I have to give UPS my credit card autherizing duty charges and at that point Im not going to get that money from bidder. I have had alot of items get screwed up by out of country bidders not reading the terms and jumping in at the last second.

KenWP
02-05-2009, 03:47 PM
When I use Ebay.ca and put in a search for stuff in Canada nothing shows up for me. Of course it could be the words I use to search with. I try SS pots usually.
I phones today to several places trying to find somebody who could weld SS and finally found a young fellow that actually understood what I wanted and why. Frustrating for a english speaking person around here most times.

Clan Delaney
02-05-2009, 05:51 PM
The only reason that I stipulate US only is selling some Items brings out the scammers big time. Just sold Item on monday and the winner sent a frantic email with instructions from scammer saying they are the seller and send western union wire transfer to spain their quick. Sending to Canada I have to give UPS my credit card autherizing duty charges and at that point Im not going to get that money from bidder. I have had alot of items get screwed up by out of country bidders not reading the terms and jumping in at the last second.

This is just slightly off topic, but related...

A few months back, my brother's Paypal account was hacked, and it was linked to his Debit card. If his wife didn't have the paranoid habit of cheking her balance every day they really would have gotten hit hard. That's just back story, though. Haynes' story made me remember what happened. The person who used my bro's Paypal account immediately purchased a very expensive guitar on eBay, and sent many emails to the seller to ship it now now NOW!! so that he could have the goods before the fraud was detected. My bro got a hold of that seller before he shipped, and explained that if he shipped it, he'd never see payment, since he'd already been in contact with Ebay and Paypal and had stopped the payment.

An almost dead giveaway of something suspicious is when the buyer insists that you ship to an address other than the verified address connected to the Paypal account.

I can understand your hesitancy to ship international. It's not an exaggeration that it increases the risks of fraud, but it does maximize your sale. You just have to be cautious and aware. Here's to a positive experience in your current sales with our neighbors to the north.

Clan Delaney
02-05-2009, 05:54 PM
I phones today to several places trying to find somebody who could weld SS and finally found a young fellow that actually understood what I wanted and why. Frustrating for a english speaking person around here most times.

My residual high school French education just barely gets me by with my neighbor, who's French Canadian, and speaks probably as much of my language as I do of his.

KenWP
02-05-2009, 08:48 PM
What really hurts with all this SS stuff is when I was on the farm back in Alberta I had all kinds of SS containers from dairy and threw them all away because it cost more to haul metal to a scrap yard then it was worth. I also had many sheets of SS that would make excellent pans for boiling. I have kicked myself for months since I ended up here in Quebec and have a really good use for the stuff now.

KenWP
02-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Its not easy living with a city girl who figures that meat,milk eggs and maple syrup comes from a store in easy to open packages. Up two years ago I had raised all my own meat or hunted it down and this being civilized is for the birds some day. Once a found out I had maple trees the first thing on my mind was drilling holes in them. I also have birch trees that will hopefully get perforated this spring also.

ennismaple
02-05-2009, 09:02 PM
I can understand your hesitancy to ship international. It's not an exaggeration that it increases the risks of fraud, but it does maximize your sale. You just have to be cautious and aware. Here's to a positive experience in your current sales with our neighbors to the north.

As always with eBay - positive feedback is a must! If it smells fishy it probably is.

Haynes Forest Products
02-06-2009, 12:46 AM
well the horror story started as soon as the item was won. Incomlete postal code, wants more than one but wants two at 1/2 price, says shipping is cheaper if I ship 2, I called UPS store and price quoted is $130.00 to his door he says it $63.73, He Called me a fraud So now I run the risk of telling him to cancel the sale and get negative feedback. Then you fight that.

ennismaple
02-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Make sure the eBay moderators are aware of your problems. I'm sure they can delete a transaction if someone's being a problem without reason.