PDA

View Full Version : Question RE: Grimm 2X2 Syrup Pan

Cardigan99
02-03-2009, 05:15 PM
I've got a Grimm stainless 2X2 syrup pan with float boxes on either side. My question is should there be a plug for the float box that is not being used so the syrup does not flow out into it?

Thanks

Todd

Amber Gold
02-03-2009, 05:29 PM
There should be a gate valve between the two pans.

Cardigan99
02-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Hi Josh. I've got the gate valves. One for each side from the flue pan to the syrup pan. It's the area from the float boxes on the syrup pan to the part of the syrup pan that sits on the arch that I'm talking about.

The way it stands now, If I'm feeding my syrup pan from the right hand side, that float box feeds the pan. However, the float box on the left hand side is wide open to the pan and the syrup will flow into that float box that is not feeding the pan. Is this how it should work? doesn't seem right that the syrup should be flowing into the float box that is not being used at the time.

Todd

Amber Gold
02-03-2009, 05:52 PM
If I'm understanding your question properly it does make sense and you're set up properly. The sap enters the syrup pan from the right hand side in this case. The syrup will work it's way through the pan and you'll drawoff out the left float box. You should have a full port ball valve to drawoff with. The stuff entering the syrup pan will be almost syrup and the stuff you drawoff will be syrup.

Justin Turco
02-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Hey Todd,

If I understand what your asking: The float box that is not being used is the side that you WILL be drawing off from. The valve that is between THAT float box and your flue pan will be shut OFF. Now take the float out and put it on the side that IS feeding the front pan. You can now open up the valve between this float box and your fluepan. You are ready to rock and roll.

At the end of the day make sure you shut this valve off too. Or the float might leak (slowly) filling or overfilling your front pan onto the floor. Put a paper cup or something over the handle to this closed valve so you don't forget to open it when you fire up again. (And durn' near burn your front pan whilst yur out gittin' wood!)

Justin

Cardigan99
02-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Hi Justin, Yes that's the side I will be drawing off, but here's the deal. The float boxes are soldered right to the pan. there is a 2" hole in each each side of the pan to connect to the float boxes. Do I plug this hole on the float box that is not being used (and how do I do it), or do I just let the syrup flow out into this float box (the draw offs are different fittings and not part of the float boxes).

(edit)
Josh, actually now that I think of it, I could draw from the float box. but there are two other NPT fittings, one on each side of the pan that I thought were the draws.

Todd

Amber Gold
02-03-2009, 06:34 PM
The drawoffs should be mounted to the exterior of the float box allowing you to drawoff through the floatbox. If this is the case then leave it open and if not then it's new to me.

Cardigan99
02-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Josh, yeah, you're right. The other NPT fittings must be for a thermometer now that I think about it because they are 1/2"

Thanks

Todd

Justin Turco
02-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Yes those 1/2 inch fittings are for thermometers.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-03-2009, 08:35 PM
The sap is coming into the syrup pan from the flue pan via the one float box and the other float box, you would be drawing off finished syrup from the evaporator unless this pan is designed different.

WF MASON
02-04-2009, 03:55 AM
I believe the 1/2" fittings are 1/4"npt fittings for the thermometers.