PDA

View Full Version : Is there a big production difference between diaphragm, and air vacume pumps?

michiganfarmer
02-03-2009, 11:39 AM
I have a 3 diaphragm vacume pump with a small honda engine on it. Ive never put a vacume guage on it, but Im told it produces about 15". Is there a big difference in sap production between 15", and the 20+ that people are getting with regular vacume pumps?

Haynes Forest Products
02-03-2009, 04:04 PM
MF: I think your going to get higher CFMs with the Vane pump. keep in mind that if you lose 10 HGs of vacuum due to leaks and such your behind the 8 ball if your max is 15

mapleack
02-04-2009, 09:19 AM
Michiganfarmer, check out the publication at the following link : http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/vacsap.pdf

It details vacuum research at the Proctor Maple Research Center in Vermont. Specifically check out the graph in the lower right of the fourth page, it answers your question!

Big maple
02-04-2009, 02:19 PM
We used that pump the first year we went from buckets to tubingand we made 190 gallons of syrup, when we changed to a rotary vane and releaser we have made between 300 and 400 every year offthe same number of taps. It may have been the year but I don't think that was the case.

michiganfarmer
02-05-2009, 11:37 AM
thanks everybody

Haynes Forest Products
02-05-2009, 01:45 PM
MichiganF:Dad used to boat up to Traverse city from Sturgeon Bay Wisc. I take the Ludington Ferry over to Kewanee every summer Inlaws live in Rockford Mich. I make a pretty good Pastie and them babies can be warmed up on the steam hood.

michiganfarmer
02-06-2009, 12:20 PM
MichiganF:Dad used to boat up to Traverse city from Sturgeon Bay Wisc. I take the Ludington Ferry over to Kewanee every summer Inlaws live in Rockford Mich. I make a pretty good Pastie and them babies can be warmed up on the steam hood.

Thats pretty neat. I have a sharpening, and power tool repair shop in Traverse city.

Haynes Forest Products
02-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Do you pick up? I have 13 chop saw blades sitting in the garage and everytime I start a new job its off to H. D. for a new one. I like going over the bridge. I went over Golden Gate a couple of times but yours is better.

michiganfarmer
02-11-2009, 09:36 AM
Do you pick up? I have 13 chop saw blades sitting in the garage and everytime I start a new job its off to H. D. for a new one. I like going over the bridge. I went over Golden Gate a couple of times but yours is better.

Pick up? Yeah, but not in Colorado,lol. If you mail them to me, I will pay to mail them back to you. I get 30 cents per tooth.