PDA

View Full Version : diluting syrup

SUGARSMITH
10-06-2004, 01:34 PM
I have 15 gallons of overdone syrup, meanid the density is too heavy.

Can I dilute this with water, re-boil to the correct density and put in glass, or will it seperate over time

Dan

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
10-06-2004, 04:03 PM
Dan- Yes you can thin it out with water. I would put the syrup in a canner and heat it up to say 160 Degrees and then add a slight amount of water at the same time while you stir it real well and then check the density against a chart for the Temp. that the syrup is now at.Go slow with the water-if you over do it you will now have to steam it off.Don't go over 200 Degrees or you will cloud the syrup up as this will bring back out the niter in it.STAY UNDER 200 so you won't have to refilter it.Stir real well after you add each little increment of water each time and then check the density each time...Kevin

wdchuck
10-06-2004, 08:17 PM
You might want to keep the temp under 190; I've found that anything above that level leaves you with cloudy syrup. Also, if you're canning into glass, you'll want the density as close to perfect as you can get it- anything thicker and it'll crystallize and be pretty visible- a turn-off, or at least a question mark to some customers.