PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever use a dairy filter to filter syrup?

cathleenc
02-03-2009, 12:20 AM
I've one of these: http://www.caprinesupply.com/shop/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=284&category_id=3fe5ea7f5ccf647d772bbeb8a52c06f4&ps_session=7397b2bc4df74c1784f40b88993fac41 to use when filtering fresh milk from our goats. It holds up to a gallon. The filter paper is one-time use, disposable, in-line filters meant to be used on a commercial cow vacuum milking system.

What do you all think about using it to filter syrup? This is our first year - hoping to get maybe 2-4 gallons total.

thanks
Cathy

Haynes Forest Products
02-03-2009, 12:34 AM
I had a step saver that came with filters and they were good for the big chunks. I think in the beginning we all experimented with all kinds of filters. But when it comes to syrup you need it hot and the right type of filter. wool,Orlon,disposable, if your doing a few gallons for yourself the disposables are cheap and work ok if you have time and a little sedament is Ok.

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-03-2009, 04:06 AM
Cathy,
The syrup won't go through a milk filter. You can use it to filter the sap to get the big stuff out. For syrup we used to use unbleached muslin as a pre filter with the wool or orlon as the final filter. For your own use, the final filter will be unnecessary. There will be some fine sediment but that will give your product character.

Fred Henderson
02-03-2009, 05:57 AM
You can use some silk undies but that don't mean its right. Follow what the industry does and all will be well. A lot of trial & error has gone into what we do.