PDA

View Full Version : Automatic sap pump starter ... or whatever it's called.

danno
02-02-2009, 07:35 PM
I believe this has been discussed before. I want to wire my feed tank above my evaportator to my outside bulk tank so that the pump in the bulk tank begins feeding the feed tank when the feed tank begins running low.

How do I set this up?

jrthe3
02-02-2009, 07:39 PM
this switch

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3BY74

works great use one in my tank 3 years now no probs yet

just remember if you try to get one at lowes or home depot it has to be normally closed

brookledge
02-03-2009, 06:27 PM
Or you could use a float switch like on a pedistal type sump pump. It depends on what would be easier to set up. Either type would work.
Keith

lpakiz
02-03-2009, 07:08 PM
You know, the switch that controls the water level in an old automatic clothes washer might work. These switches shut off the water valve when water reaches a certain height in the agitator basket. Granted, the water valve doesn't require much amperage, hopefully would carry enough amps to power a 1/2 HP sump pump. Just a thought anyway...

paul
02-04-2009, 05:24 AM
Dano

We use a sump pump switch in our feed tank with a float attached to it when the feed tank gets low the switch turns on the pool pump thats connected to the consentrate tank and fills the feed tank, shuts off the pool pump when the feed tank is full. we even wired it to an orange light that comes on in the boiling room so we know the feed tank is filling.
You should come over and take a look your just over the mountain from us. we`re right off of rt17 in south starksboro.

Dave Y
02-04-2009, 06:28 AM
Danno,
The float switch that jrthe3 posted is what I use. I have had mine several years with no problems. It is very easy to set up also.

mapleman3
02-04-2009, 06:59 AM
If you use a sump pump switch you have to mount it upside down.. it has to work opposite of a sump pump... thats what I'm using, so when it gets low... click it turns on untill your set level, then clicks off.

I like that float from Graingers though, I think that would have been an easier way to go for me had I researched better... shame on me

jrthe3
02-04-2009, 03:53 PM
i first started with the switch like you mapleman but i found if the pump or line to pump start to freeze and the pump has to work a little bit it will burn that switch up i went through about 4 of them befor a got the flaot switch