PDA

View Full Version : What kind of disinfectant

KenWP
02-02-2009, 05:08 PM
What type of disinfectant works the best for tape holes and the spiles. I have lots of Virkon around the place and wondered if anybody uses it. I also would like to know how you disinfect the tap hole or do you bother with that.

petersp22
02-02-2009, 05:50 PM
I boil my taps to sterilize them and use a spray bottle to squirt cheap vodka in the tap hole.

Clan Delaney
02-02-2009, 08:18 PM
I boil my taps to sterilize them and use a spray bottle to squirt cheap vodka in the tap hole.

One squirt for the tree...
... two squirts for me!

Homestead Maple
02-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Proctor Maple Research has done a study on disinfecting drill bits before tapping each hole, known as aseptic tapping, and they used rubbing alcohol. The results showed some improvements as far as sap yields for the season.

Pete S
02-03-2009, 02:39 PM
We're just coming into our third season,.......in a learn as we go operation. We utilize a 10:1 ration of water to bleach. Wash and squirt our tapping stuff, and buckets.

Because we're REAL SMALL and I can't say if it works well or not,.............actually most importanly,..........it's CHEAP!

Pete

nymapleguy607
02-04-2009, 04:52 PM
One squirt for the tree...
... two squirts for me!

I think I know why some peoples taps and tubing layout look like something a spider did on a windy day