PDA

View Full Version : Who know makes Small Brothers pans

nymapleguy607
02-02-2009, 01:13 PM
So I had a heart breaking discovery yesterday I went to clean my "new to me" pans and I was filling the flue pan with water and I saw dripping water so I investigated and found about 40 pin holes in the pan. After looking further I found a lot of spots where it looks like the stainless is pitting. I called the dealer that sold it to me and he gave me the numbers of some places I could maybe have it patched. The pans are only 8 years old this season and I thought that maybe I could contact the company and they might do something about it other wise my nice supposedly new evaporator might be a real heavy paper weight.
Thanks Jeff

802maple
02-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Lapierre owns the Small Bros. line. Did you wash with clorox? If you wash with it, you need to rinse until you get sick of rinsing and then rinse some more or you could end up with pin holes. Also some acids will do the same thing if not totally rinsed well.

nymapleguy607
02-02-2009, 01:41 PM
This was my first time washing these pans. I used straight water just to clean the dust off.

nymapleguy607
02-02-2009, 02:10 PM
Does anyone know a good person to contact at Lapierre that might be able to help me with my problem?

Mark-NH
02-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Those pin holes usually form from the underside up. They are caused by leaving the soot on the pans in a damp environment. Over the summer it attacks the stainless. At least that is what I was told last year.

40 or more holes?. Man that is too bad on an otherwise nice newer pan. Same thing happened on my syrup pan last year. I had them soldered but then again, there were only 4 holes and that was on a flat surface.

I would try to get your money back and let someone else worry about that pan. It will always haunt you even if you have it professionally repaired.

If a refund is not an option you may have to run it as is. If the holes are indeed pin heads they will seal up during the boiling process. The down side is that you will have to let the fire go out and drain your pans every night. I did this for years on an old leaky tin flue pan.

802maple
02-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Mark that is certainly another way that they get pin holes.

I would call Lapiere Canada and see if Andre' still works there, He used to be the person to talk to. If he doesn't work there just ask for a english speaking salesman and I am sure they will help you out.

802maple
02-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Their phone # is 450-539-3663.

nymapleguy607
02-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Has anyone ever had to deal with this sort of thing on this new of a pan?? If so what did you do? Did the company offer to help you with a new pan or are you pretty much on your own?

Russell Lampron
02-02-2009, 05:49 PM
The actual Small Brothers Co. went out of business in 1995. If it is a genuine Small Brothers pan it is at least 14 years old. It sounds like the guy that sold it to you put the screws to you. I would try to get my money back. If that doesn't work Lapierre would be your best bet.

maplwrks
02-02-2009, 06:17 PM
Give the number a call that 802 gave you---Also, there is a serial # on the red sticker on the side of the pan. They will need it to make a pan that will be identical to the one you've got. You've still got a little time---give it a shot. Don't count on these pin holes sugaring over, they will just cause a bigger problem.

Flat47
02-02-2009, 06:35 PM
Not all Small Brothers pans had the numbers on the GOLD sticker. Either they never wrote on them at the factory or the ink wore off.

Come to think of it, I've never seen a Small Bros sticker with writing on it. Hmmm....

Anyway, pans of that vintage were 300-series stainless (304, I think) which has a high iron content and is magnetic. About 10 years ago or so 400-series stainless became the norm. It's got a lower iron content, is not magnetic, and is far less prone to piting.

nymapleguy607
02-02-2009, 06:56 PM
That was what I found out the hard way. I would try and get a new pan but $ is tight I have spent more this year setting up this year than in my past 3 years doing this. Does anybody know where I might find a good used pan that might work with the Small Brothers syrup pan?

Flat47
02-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Try our host www.mapleguys.com or for used stuff: www.bascommaple.com

Haynes Forest Products
02-02-2009, 07:04 PM
NYMapleGuy: I read that you got this pan from a dealer. how long ago did you get it. Did you make a sold as is deal. did they say that the pan was solid and they would stand behide it. Did they hook you up with a fellow producer and say this is between you guys. Is it the Flue pan or syrup pan. I think as a last resort if you feel that your getting unfair treatment you should after exhausting all posible avenues and being very clear that you will let ALL your friends know about the poor way its being handled. I dont make idle threats when I feel I have been taken advantage of. I feel that its only fair to give the parties involved all chances possible to rectify the problem in a fair and timely manner. With that said You must make it clear the other options are bad for their reputation.

nymapleguy607
02-02-2009, 07:36 PM
This was bought from a dealer who had it in on trade from someone else. He told me that this setup was a nice unit and he knew the person who had it well. I trust this person whole heartedly he has never ever steered me wrong the part where we lapsed judgment was we never filled them with water. I have contacted him when I discovered the leaks and he has pointed me to some places I could get it fixed and he also told me that he would be back in touch with me. I believe that he feels almost as bad as I feel about this pan because he sold it to me under a false assumption.

Haynes Forest Products
02-02-2009, 08:07 PM
NYM; I think the part about "you" not checking them when "he" took them in on trade put the problem back on his shoulders. Out there is a very happy person that just set up his new pans and thinks he past his problem on to the dealer. I think trading in a lemon car to a dealer is the name of the game. They check them out and make a deal based on what their Mechanic says. If they dont check it out and throw it on the lot and sell it without checking it out then it their reputation thats at stake. Is this a big dealer that we would all like to steer clear off.

802maple
02-03-2009, 05:30 AM
Small Brothers labels continued to be put on pans until Lapierre took over Waterloo Small after the bankruptcy a few years back, so they could be only 8 years old.

Flat47, you actually have the 304 to 430 rating backwards. 304 or sometimes 306 is what is being used now and it is non magnetic. Most older pans were made with 430 stainless as it was easier to solder, it was mostly elimninated after the lead issues of 1993.

As a retired dealer of equipment for every company for years, I doubt that they will do anything after 8 years, but it is worth a try. The only way to find out is call the above number and see if Andre is still there or whomever took over for him.

Not all Small Brothers pans had the numbers on the GOLD sticker. Either they never wrote on them at the factory or the ink wore off.

Come to think of it, I've never seen a Small Bros sticker with writing on it. Hmmm....

Anyway, pans of that vintage were 300-series stainless (304, I think) which has a high iron content and is magnetic. About 10 years ago or so 400-series stainless became the norm. It's got a lower iron content, is not magnetic, and is far less prone to piting.

nymapleguy607
02-03-2009, 05:17 PM
Well it looks like the verdict is that I am S.O.L. with these pans. I think I am going to try and have the holes filled for this year and when leader has there spring sale order a new set. I man that sold them to me said that, that leader gave pretty good discounts and that he could give me a discount too. Does anyone know what leaders lower end raised flue evaporator is?

Haynes Forest Products
02-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Why would you go back to this man if he just screwd you. So whats his co. name

nymapleguy607
02-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Well I think everything is starting to work out for the better. The man that sold me my evaporator called me this morning and said that he talked to the man that traded in my evaporator. He told me that this person whom I have never met said that he was unaware that the pan had leaked and he said that he would help pay to have them fixed this year and then help me out some on my new pans. So it looks like all things will work out in the end.

Haynes Forest Products
02-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Sounds like you might end up OK and get a friend out of it. Invite the guy out to your operation and ask for advice and it will work itself out.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Man this is awesome, it is great when one person steps up to the plate and makes thing right. Two different people trying to make things right in this day and time is getting to be unheard of. Glad to see good people still doing what is right.

lpakiz
02-04-2009, 11:10 PM
Yeah, but remember---these are not regular people. They are SYRUP PEOPLE!!!

Flat47
02-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Flat47, you actually have the 304 to 430 rating backwards.

Darn it...so close yet so far...Thanks for setting me straight.