PDA

View Full Version : What float box is this?

parsissn
02-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Does anyone have a guess what brand float box this is? It was given to me today. The gasket looks to be in ok shape but I may need to get a new one and so would need to know the brand. Also, any idea how these would hook up to the sap feed? The inlet pipe is brass but is rather short. On either side of the inlet pipe is a small hook pointing out away from the inlet pipe. I can put a tube and hose clamp on it but it might be difficult to get the clamp to bite since the pipe is so short. Let me know what you think.

Mark

NH Maplemaker
02-01-2009, 02:14 PM
I would guess a leader!! It looks very similar to one that was on my old 4x12!Smaller but of the same design!!

Jim L.

maple flats
02-01-2009, 02:32 PM
That is what Leader used on their pleasure model vintage 1980's. Mine was a 2x6, looked just like that. It sets on top of the flues pan with an angle SS soldered in place to hold it there. The supply line entered where you see the hole on the top peice, it had a float to regulate depth and it overflowed out one end. This was reversable by lifting, swing 180 and set back in place. The float rode in the outer flue section opposite where the flue pan was being filled.

parsissn
02-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Thanks guys, sounds like you hit it right on. I got the float with it too (float is nice and shiny). My flue pan is custom built but will work perfect with this. Any tips for attaching the feed line?

Also, any guess what kind of head pressure this float will hold back? I plan to put a 55 gal drum about 4-5 feet above the float box. Since I haven't used a float box before I'm not sure how much pressure they will hold.

Mark

WF MASON
02-01-2009, 03:46 PM
A design that is still in use today by hundreds.
I believe there was a tapered brass sleeve that slide into the hole, check with Leader or Bascoms or have a machinest turn one down.

Haynes Forest Products
02-01-2009, 03:49 PM
If you look at the feed area its most likley taperd and the hose from the head tank had a fitting that pushed into the center hole. You can make one with copper pipe. Find a copper fitting that is close but slightly bigger and heat and roll the fitting smaller and at a slight taper. Couplers work good for this then use a 90 degree to fit into it.

Uncle Tucker
02-01-2009, 07:00 PM
I have the same preheater/float box on my Leader pleasure model. I did notget the fitting when I got my pans so I used a rubber crutch bottom. It fits perfectly and just about any hardwhere store.

I have a 100 gallon tank in the rafters about 6 feet above the float and it holds the persure fine.

maple flats
02-02-2009, 06:41 PM
The fitting mine had was as they said, slightly tapered. It was brass and set fairly snug. It had a hook that held a spring to kold it down when the float lever pushed up against the bottom, forcing a rubber seal against the bottom of the tappered fitting. The spring was short but moderately stiff for the hold down and was able to hook to either side because opposite sides were needed when you reversed the flow by turning the preheater around to dump into the other side.