PDA

View Full Version : hi - our intro

cathleenc
02-01-2009, 11:08 AM
hi everyone - glad to find this board. We're hoping to start our first syrup season this year on our little family farm in dane county, wisconsin (south central wisconsin). We've got 2 huge silver maples close to the house - and a neighboring farmer offered to let us tap his yard silver maples as well. Hoping to get a modest yield of maybe 2-4 gallons total and have a lot of fun!

Cathy

Bucket Head
02-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Hello and welcome!

I'm sure you and your family will enjoy making some syrup.

Just be careful. This is just how it get's started. Just a few tree's this year, and before you know it, you have hundred's of taps all over your town!

The Maple Bug has bit. There is no cure.

Good luck!!

Steve

Buckeye mapler
02-01-2009, 02:09 PM
welcome to Maple trader. this site has been a God sent gift to many of us. I am sure you will find alot of useful information and answers to alot of your questions no matter how modest you plan on being. the chances are though like Bucket Head said, you will be planning for more taps next year. It is like a snowball. It will grow and grow until you cant move it anymore. Then you use tubing and vacuum pumps to move it!!!!!!!!

cathleenc
02-03-2009, 12:15 AM
thank you for the warm welcome! looking forward to getting our feet wet (what do you say when it comes to maple tapping... our taps wet? lol)

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-03-2009, 04:02 AM
Cathy,
My Grandpa always warned me to catch any that was gonna spill in my rubber boots! Guess I got my feet wet. I also learned to slip and fall while keeping the gathering pail upright. Gotta have the priorities straight when making syrup. Welcome Aboard!
Doug

Clan Delaney
02-03-2009, 07:41 AM
It will grow and grow until you cant move it anymore. Then you use tubing and vacuum pumps to move it!!!!!!!!

And then you have so much you can't possibly boil it all, so you get a bigger evaporator, and a bigger one, and that's still not big enough so you get a reverse osmosis machine and then realize, I need more sap!!!!!

mapleman3
02-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Thats what Clan is doing... He doesn't have the evaporator big enough yet so he's getting an RO to still be able to boil on that turkey fryer right Pat? Just think of the possibilities ;) hehe just kidding ,

Cathleen, Welcome to the Trader, you will enjoy your stay I'm sure, but these guys are right, it will never be enough, year after year you will want more!! it's addicting