PDA

View Full Version : new pan almost done

shawk
01-31-2009, 11:28 PM
Everything came together and I was able to get into the shop with my son-in-law today. Here is the results of about 4 hours of work. We still have a little welding to do and I need to cut out the holes for the NPT 1/2 couplings. Was beginning to wonder if I would have it for this years season.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Scott.3653/NewPan?authkey=k8FrrM5WumE#

Haynes Forest Products
01-31-2009, 11:55 PM
Looks nice are you going to polish it. I think you have time to make a drawoff box on the side its only a few more bends and a little disc work.

shawk
02-01-2009, 08:22 AM
What is a drawoff box? Was just planning on putting a valve in the pan?

ronr
02-01-2009, 10:01 AM
I see you tacked it with TIG but there is a MIG welder in the background. Was it all TIG'ed or did you use both. Looks like the main portion was bent to a "U" shape and the ends welded on, did that method work out ok. Anything you would do different?

Haynes Forest Products
02-01-2009, 10:32 AM
A draw off box is a small box that is welded in the same place you would put the ball valve fitting and it sits about 1" lower than the bottom of the pan. It allows for faster and total draining of the syrup. Its 3x3x what ever height you want. Its open at the top and has a square opening from the sap pan disc work. Then you put the fitting for the ball valve down low on the box and that lets all the syrup drain out faster. You can look on others sites and see them.

shawk
02-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Ronr - Everything up to this point has been TIG, the dividers are are being difficult. They need a little filler so we are going to MIG those. Have not boiled in it yet but we did fill it and look for pinhole leaks - none found, once I finish the arch this week I will probably run a test boil with water. As far as doing anything different, only if I had access to a box and pan brake just to limit the welding but you do end needing a larger piece of stainless for that.

shawk
02-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Haynes - thanks for explaining - think I am going to pass though as I am making the pan reversible. Maybe on the next one after we expand in a few years. - yeah I have the bug.

Haynes Forest Products
02-01-2009, 11:02 AM
Shawak: Just a ball park Im not looking but what do you think its worth. If you had the time and someone walked in the shop and said ill give you $_ _ _ for it what would the get her outa here price be. no arch

shawk
02-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Not really sure - we have about 8 hours total labor in it with probably 3 more to go(although this is the first attempt at this so the time would get better). The biggest factor in the whole thing is the price of stainless. I probably would sell it for around $450.